 CAD / Development / Macintosh / 762
Re: Bricksmith tips and techniques
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.mac, lugnet.cad
Date:
Wed, 21 Feb 2007 23:28:23 GMT

On Feb 16, 2007, at 4:19 PM, Jim DeVona wrote:

In lugnet.cad.dev.mac, Jim DeVona wrote:

I've started using these techniques to help align important
elements such as
hinges with the origin of the sub-model. Once that's done,
rotating the
sub-model in a parent model causes it to pivot nicely around the
hinge (I'm
curious if this is what the "Focus spin around selection" note
refers to in
the feature requests). This makes it easier to almost "play" with
movable
parts like wings, doors, and joints right in LDraw, as there's no
need to
nudge things to get them to line up again after rotation.

Ah! I see James Reynolds has already written an excellent article
on this topic:
<http://james.magnusviri.com/lego/articles/animatable_models.html
Animatable
Models>. Recommended reading for more details on this approach to
LDraw
modeling.

Yes, and I'm finally publishing another that goes into more detail
today if my publishing scripts would only work...

James