 CAD / Development / Macintosh / 747
746  |  748
Subject:
Bricksmith tips and techniques
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.mac, lugnet.cad
Date:
Fri, 16 Feb 2007 04:19:38 GMT

I’ve been using Bricksmith quite regularly recently (it’s a great program, Allen). I thought it would be neat to share some ideas about how to get the most out of it, and I’d like to invite anyone else with similar hints to contribute them to this thread as well. Even if they are not new ideas (I doubt mine are), I think it would be a useful reference for people new to LDraw on the Mac and in general.

As noted among its existing Feature Requests (.rtf), Bricksmith doesn’t display coordinate axes. However, it is not too hard to fake it with a couple of perpendicular LDraw lines that extend a long way in either direction:

Coordinate axes screenshot

A variation on the same idea that can also be useful is to use lines to create small crosshairs:

Positioning crosshairs screenshot

The nice thing about this technique is that you can simply cite the axes or crosshair as an MPD submodel. Just make sure the axes themselves are located at 0,0,0 with no rotation (or whatever is appropriate for your situation). This allows you to easily introduce more than one crosshair or set of axes into an assembly you’re working on and to position or orient them however you like.

(Insert lines by selecting “Line” from the “Model”->”Insert Primitive” menu. Double-click the line item in the file contents drawer to show the Line Inspector where you can set the coordinates of the line.)

I’ve started using these techniques to help align important elements such as hinges with the origin of the sub-model. Once that’s done, rotating the sub-model in a parent model causes it to pivot nicely around the hinge (I’m curious if this is what the “Focus spin around selection” note refers to in the feature requests). This makes it easier to almost “play” with movable parts like wings, doors, and joints right in LDraw, as there’s no need to nudge things to get them to line up again after rotation.

I also posted an MPD file that just contains some example axes and crosshairs. Eventually I’d like to update the other MPD files I’ve previously posted to utilize this kind of alignment.

That’s all for now! I hope somebody may find this useful.

Jim