 CAD / Development / 6074
Re: We need an update NOW (Was: Parts Update?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev, lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Tue, 1 May 2001 01:25:36 GMT

"Carsten Schmitz" <casz@gmx.de> wrote in message news:GCMtBs.ByD@lugnet.com...

I think Tim has waited to long to get help from other volunteers. There has
been at least some people in the newsgroups and some via email offering help
to get the parts update on the way - including me. I did not even get an
answer. It is one thing to be busy and stressed but it is another thing not
to notice that you could accept some help when you are just overloaded.

I have seen a whole company breaking down by this because some person did
not know when to delegate tasks to manage the whole rest... and i see Tim
Courtney more in the function of a manager.. I think he has to realize that
by hisself first.

Good point, and I agree.  I've gotta work out some management stuff on my own -
especially this week.  I'll also be lowering my standards of expectations for
contributors - if people want to contribute pages, just make a text file of the
content, send me the images and the text, and I'll format it.  Its too much of a
pain for both me and the contributor to have to format it my way themselves -
they have to get used to it, more demand on them, and I'm such a perfectionist I
end up fixing it anyways.

But back to the parts issue, I'm really not responsible at all.  Steve's the
Head Parts Guy.  And Steve is working on a parts update system now, we just have
to work out the issue of the immediate update (unofficial, disclaimers attached,
is my opinion of the way to go) to satisfy the users and come back and do the
update right later (using the new system) and have the parts officially added.

I think the parts should be zipped into an unofficial archive, hosted on the
site under /download/updates/unofficial/ and with a big disclaimer attached.
Then the system Steve is working on should be completed, and the parts run
through it and updated properly and added into the official updates.
--

Tim Courtney - tim@ldraw.org

Re: We need an update NOW (Was: Parts Update?)