 CAD / Development / 10423
Re: LSC - current status?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Wed, 17 May 2006 15:13:34 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, Kevin L. Clague wrote:
In lugnet.cad.dev, Willy Tschager wrote:

* internationalization and localization of the part library

This topic has not been discussed.  For me personally it is for lack of
interest.  I have questions about this issue:

  1.  What problem are you hoping to solve with this effort?
  2.  Do you expect software developers to make changes to deal with this?
      Speaking not as an LSC member, but as an individual software developer,
      I have many things I would like to do that are much higher priority,
      and would be much better investment of my time.
  3.  How will this improve the quality of life for all members of the LDraw
      community?
  4.  I know that in my case as a member of the LSC, you have not heard any
      feedback because I don't think it is worthy of consideration.

the aim is to lower the bar for newbies and people who don't speak any english.
assuming that you are not fluent in italian or german, just try to match the
following words with their german and italian counterparts:

brick
plate
tile
slope

piastrella
piastra
mattoncino
tegola

platte
stein
dachstein
fliese

and try to imagine what people have to face in MLCad. sometimes I still find
myself thinking hard for names or possible descriptions for parts I rarely use.
the thumbnails are a big help but it is quite annoying flicking through the
entire library in search for a specific part. a library in people's mothertongue
would speed things up enormously.

* request for new offical meta command called INFO or HELP

  Do you have reasons as to why you think it needs to be official?  I'm
interested in justification.  Anyone can unofficially add meta commands whenever
they want.

not being a programmer it is my way to add a meta command for a part I created.

http://www.ldraw.org/cgi-bin/ptdetail.cgi?f=parts/30114c01.dat

I'd like to see this feature in a prog in the near/far future and I'd like my
part to support this. as you might know sometimes it takes a long time to push
a part through the PT (right now there is still a part to be certified I created
in 2002) I'm not in the mood to add a meta-command to the part after it gets
supported by a prog, submit it for a single line and cancel all the votes it may
has collected.

  I tried to search but did not easily find the post where you proposed these
meta commands.  Could you please give me a pointer?

http://five.pairlist.net/pipermail/lsc/2005-April/000342.html

hope this helps understanding,

w.