 CAD / 17477
Re: LPub Error Message?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Mon, 6 Dec 2010 19:17:49 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Dave Schuler wrote:
   I can run LDView with general success, but check this out: I noticed after posting last night is that I get a different error message in LDView. I’m not sure of the exact phrasing, but it appears to result from part-files not starting with BFC statements. LDview corrects this by inserting a NOCERTIFY, but subsequent BFC commands seem to trip this up.

I should note that I’m working with older LDraw parts and a bunch of *ahem* custom elements, so their header formats may not be fully compatible with the current versions.

Thanks for looking into this, and thanks for your hard work!

The error from LPub appears to indicate and LDView crash. Any errors or warnings in LDView’s “Errors and Warnings” dialog indicate problems that LDView detected in the parts that it was given. Having said this, while LDView does treat files without a 0 BFC command at the top as non-BFC-certified, this is correct behavior. Here is a direct quote from the BFC spec:

In order for a file to be processed with back face culling, there must be at least one 0 BFC meta-statement before the first operational command-line. If there is no such 0 BFC meta-statement in the file, BFC processing will be disabled for that file.

Having said this, one might argue that that LDView’s error messages are confusing, since all BFC commands in the file generate an error saying “BFC command after NOCERTIFY command.”. However, since the very first such BFC line generates an error that says “First BFC command isn’t the first action in file; changing to NOCERTIFY”, LDView is in fact doing exactly what it said it was doing.

--Travis