 CAD / 16572
Re: LDraw.org 2009-02 Parts Update Now Available
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Thu, 29 Oct 2009 06:01:00 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Jetro de Chateau wrote:
In lugnet.cad, Chris Dee wrote:
The 2009-02 LDraw parts update has been now been released.

This update includes 385 files in the core library, including 195 new parts, and
many more files updated with improvements for Back Face Culling support. A
further 8 parts have been redeveloped by authors who have affirmed the
Contributor Agreement, replacing files that were not redistributable.

Following substantial work by Scott Wardlaw and Willy Tschager the colour
configuration file has also been updated.

Thanks are due to all the authors and reviewers who contributed to this release.

You can preview the new parts in 2009-02 and download the update by going to
http://www.ldraw.org/library/updates.

There are still 251 certified files on the LDraw Parts Tracker, many of which
were held back from this update, following our normal practice of not releasing
new primitives or subparts until they are needed for an official part file.
There are another 1500+ files waiting for admin review, which I will tackle in
preparation for another release later this year.

Chris Dee (LDraw Parts Library Admin)

I have a quick question about the 2009 Part Updates - As far as I can tell from
the description at LDraw.org and here the updates are cumulative (I need to
install 2009-1 and then 2009-2) However the names of both files are identical
and as a result if I try to download both one of two things happen:
1)the second download overwrites the first
2) my browser takes the download from the cache and consequently doesn't really
download the other file but re-downloads the one I already had.

If the files are cumulative, maybe they could be renamed to include the release
in the file name in the same way as has been done for 2008-01.

Jetro

The Windows installer executables are not cumulative - they are the complete
library - hence "Use this link to download the Windows installer for the
complete library".

The zip archives are just the changes (new files and updates) - hence "Use this
link if you just want a zip version of the update".

There may be occasions when you want to download the complete install from a
particular release, so the names have now been changed. However, LDrawParts.exe
is still maintained as an alias to the latest complete installation.

Chris