 CAD / 14833
Re: Why LDraw.org doesn't use ldconfig.ldr ???
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Wed, 3 Oct 2007 14:22:29 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Travis Cobbs wrote:
In lugnet.cad, Don Heyse wrote:
In lugnet.cad, Travis Cobbs wrote:
I could probably whip up a program that does the conversion fairly
quickly (hour or two of work?) if you're interested.  I have the
advantage that I already have a full parser for ldconfig.ldr.
Spitting out the ldliterc.dat file should be straightforward.

Yes, but wouldn't that be subverting Willy's diabolical plan to render
everything with ldview?  ;^)

Well, to be perfectly honest, while I'm pretty confident that LDView can be
gotten to work relatively easily (via xvfb) on the LDraw server, I'm not sure
whether its performance will be "acceptable".  So I think it's only fair to keep
the options open.

On the flip side, if they do switch over to using LDView, then perhaps the
Peeron images will update also, which would lead to the somewhat ironic
situation of LDView generating a parts list that links to images on a public web
server that were generated by LDView, but LDView itself not being capable of
generating those same images for local references.  (Mind you, that's just a
feature that I haven't implemented yet, but it seems to me that there would be a
certain irony involved.)

The current parts list has the advantage that the files can easily be sent
to others and posted online, since all you need is Internet access in order
to see the images.  If LDView generates the images, I also run into the
problem of where to put them.   Do I use a separate directory for each parts
list, so you can zip it up easier, or a common directory so the images can
be reused?

--Travis

Though the color problem has been solved I'm still in favour for the switch for
the simply fact that LDView is maintained and updated (and LDView's outputs look
much smarter ;-) but it's up to Travis to take the decision - since he has to
code it up.

w.