 CAD / 13100
13099  |  13101
Subject:
...large project anyone?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad, lugnet.cad.dev.lcd, lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Mon, 18 Jul 2005 18:36:42 GMT

--SNIP--

Add to this the fact that to get a working connection-enabled tool, you need
start with (or at least develop along the way) a working GUI-based editing tool.
That really narrows the field of potential tool-developers/standard-makers,
because any such PTD/SM either (a) has to write their own tool or (b) has to use
someone else's (open source) tool.

Steve

I'm going to go a bit more general here so this is an answer to both parent and
grandparent and probably other relatives too.
--

Why does one person need to do the whole thing? We have a wealth of skills and
experience in the Lego CAD community as is evidenced by the number of people who

This means, we could have some people write specs, some people code, some people
write connections etc. At a first iteration we could release connections lists
for the most basic pieces quickly but leave them to be approved later. Likewise
with code. The specs. of course would have to be thought out a little more
carefully, but if we make them adaptable (by using xml for example) this isn't
too much of a worry.

Personally I would be more than happy to contribute to a project designing a
fully open sourced editing tool with connections. While its nice to have a baby
to call your own, it does take a lot of time to finish writing one. It would be
so much easier just to finish a certain component of a larger project.

As such, I am going to announce myself as more than happy to work on any project
to develop an "open source, connections enabled, brick based, CAD editing tool".
I'll even post a mini-CV if desired so that if anyone else would like to
contribute they know what I can (probably) do.

I hope someone else is interested, either in tool, spec. or database design.

Yours (hopefully),

Tim