 CAD / 13099
Re: LSC - request for defining a WORKING connection database standard
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad, lugnet.cad.dev.lcd, lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Mon, 18 Jul 2005 16:11:36 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Damien Guichard wrote:
There is no chicken-egg problem: the tool always precedes the database.
Would you model parts without MLCad, LeoCad or LDraw?
I doubt anybody would.
Then people would model POV parts because POV is a "working" tool.

nod, yes.

Sadly enough, building such a tool will take very long time because such
tools are generally built by a single person. As far as i know every LDraw
compatible tool is single-authored, while the LDraw database is
multitude-authored.

Add to this the fact that to get a working connection-enabled tool, you need
start with (or at least develop along the way) a working GUI-based editing tool.
That really narrows the field of potential tool-developers/standard-makers,
because any such PTD/SM either (a) has to write their own tool or (b) has to use
someone else's (open source) tool.

Steve