 CAD / 10129
Re: the LCD guys strike again :-)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Mon, 26 May 2003 15:04:35 GMT

Hi
  No I have not tried LeoCAM, but this is good news. This means that it is
probably a sensible and good idea if more than one person comes up with it
separately. (Light bulbs anyone?) Sins it seems that you are closer to
getting it to work than I am I suppose I could adopt your format. Could you
post a link to some documentation for me? I chose not to use XML because I
wanted it to look like the existing LDraw format. GLIDE will not be out in a
new version for some time... I wanted to get this whole clicking thing
working first.
The current version of GLIDE can be found at
http://users.aber.ac.uk/dtb9/glide_web/
I look forward to hearing more from you.
--Dan.

In lugnet.cad, Gustavo Patow writes:
Hi:

I'm VERY confused, but have you tried LeoCAM?
OK, the last alpha release only had stud-studInlet pairs, but the way it
works and our ACTUAL implementation is quite close to what you describe at
that webpage. Actually, our .lci files are equivalent to the .lcf file, but
in a XML-compatible format and with little differences besides that.
Right now, all the functionality for the connectors is hard coded (with
algorithms that are VERY simmilar to those you describe, but in an OOP way),
but we hope to develop in the future a simple scripting language/description
to make it very easy to add new connectors. Probably LCD will be the way to go.
I hope we'll be able to release a beta version this week, which
incorporates Studs, Stud Inlets, Axles, Cylindrical Holes and Axle Holes.
Those connectors are not only used in the assembly process by snapping parts
together, but also in the "usage" steps, enabling you to actually "play"
with your models!!! (We've incorporated some sort of collision detection, so
you can easily move a CylindricalHole oven an Axle until it hits something
else ON that same axle).

So, please, give it a try!! :-)

yours

Gustavo.-
PS: If you want to download it, search lugnet for the announcement of the
original LeoCAM release. Right now, we're building a web page with al the
information + downloadable files, so the upcoming beta will be easier to
find! :-)

I have a sugestion:
http://users.aber.ac.uk/dtb9/glide_web/LCD_File_Format.html
You might find it interesting.