 Announcements / MOCPages™ / 14

Subject:
MOCpages is back online
Newsgroups:
lugnet.announce.mocpages
Date:
Mon, 1 Aug 2005 18:18:42 GMT
Highlighted:
!! (details)

Hello everyone...

MOCpages is back online as of this afternoon (01-Aug 2005). I feel terrible about the horrendous downtime. I’m sorry I haven’t replied to anyone’s messages asking what was going on -- I literally have been out of the country (and without much computer access) for over 3 months.

What happened

MOCpages is hosted at a shared facility in Boston, MA. Although I pay a lot for a “high volume” service, the facility automatically shuts down MOCpages if it uses too much CPU or makes intensive use of the database.

I left the country in mid-April, and put someone in charge of MOCpages in my absense to maintain everything. But only a few weeks later, our data center shut down the entire MOCpages database because of high traffic. ... they refused to turn it back on until I changed the way MOCpages interacted with the database. It was something that only I could fix, and not something I could do from an internet cafe in Africa, for example. :( I was aware that everything was down, but powerless to restore it.

Now that I’m back, I’ve been able to “put a band-aid” in place (as of today) that has gotten MOCpages back up and running.

The good news is that nothing was destroyed or lost; everyone’s pages are still 100% in-tact, passwords are the same, etc.

For now

For now, MOCpages will be a little slower than usual. I may have to shut down the review/rating/favorites back-end again if our facility continues to complain about the load it places on their server. I will be keeping my eyes out.

Fixes for the future

MOCpages has grown so popular in the past year (getting over a quarter million hits every DAY) that I can no longer rely on shared web hosting as a solution. Even now, the shared hosting plan costs me over $125 a month -- and we creep up to our performance caps every minute of the day.

1) MOCpages needs a dedicated server. I have already begun pricing and estimates at a new facility and for a new server, but it will require at least $500 up front, which I’m not sure I can afford to spend out-of-pocket. I was considering having a fund-raiser, much like Peeron’s successful $2000 drive late last year. What is everyone’s thoughts on this?

2) The MOCpages database needs to be optimized for high-traffic. I’d like to ask for help from the general community for this... are there any database folks out there that wouldn’t mind helping me out a bit? Perhaps just some advice would be in order.

Thanks, Sean - - - MOCpages Administrator sean@mocpages.com

Re: MOCpages is back online
In lugnet.announce.mocpages, Sean Kenney wrote:
   Hello everyone...

MOCpages is back online as of this afternoon (01-Aug 2005). I feel terrible about the horrendous downtime. I’m sorry I haven’t replied to anyone’s messages asking what was going on -- I literally have been out of the country (and without much computer access) for over 3 months.

Sniped

1) MOCpages needs a dedicated server. I have already begun pricing and estimates at a new facility and for a new server, but it will require at least $500 up front, which I’m not sure I can afford to spend out-of-pocket. I was considering having a fund-raiser, much like Peeron’s successful $2000 drive late last year. What is everyone’s thoughts on this?

2) The MOCpages database needs to be optimized for high-traffic. I’d like to ask for help from the general community for this... are there any database folks out there that wouldn’t mind helping me out a bit? Perhaps just some advice would be in order.

Thanks, Sean - - - MOCpages Administrator sean@mocpages.com

I can’t help with programing, but I think a fund raiser is a good idea. I’ll keep an eye out for an anouncement with paypal address.

Mat

Re: MOCpages is back online
1) MOCpages needs a dedicated server. I have already begun pricing
   and estimates at a new facility and for a new server, but it will
   require at least $500 up front, which I'm not sure I can afford
   to spend out-of-pocket. I was considering having a fund-raiser,
   much like Peeron's successful $2000 drive late last year. What is
   everyone's thoughts on this?

Sean - what are your requirements for the server?  I had to get a new
server to host PICSL, and found a good deal on that.  Contact me
offline, I might be able to help.

2) The MOCpages database needs to be optimized for high-traffic. I'd
   like to ask for help from the general community for this... are
   there any database folks out there that wouldn't mind helping me
   out a bit? Perhaps just some advice would be in order.

What database are you using?  We had to go through a number of
optimizations last year, when we were trying to squeese the last bits of
CPU from the database...  Might have some ideas, if you're using MySQL.

--
Dan Boger
dan@peeron.com

Re: MOCpages is back online
[...]

Sean is northstar a option? Many AFOL sites are hosted there(bricklink and many many more)..As for a fundraiser it sounds good to me..your site has been a fav. of mine for a long while.On the lighter side I was at my bricklink about me” section just 2 days ago and erased my(dead) link to my page at your site..had I known that’s all I had to do to get it back running I would have done that long ago..lol.Good luck no mattter what you do . Chris MichLTC/MichLUG

Re: MOCpages is back online