 Publishing / 4793
Re: MOCpages is back online
Newsgroups:
lugnet.publish
Date:
Fri, 5 Aug 2005 14:42:43 GMT

In lugnet.announce.mocpages, Sean Kenney wrote:
   Hello everyone...

MOCpages is back online as of this afternoon (01-Aug 2005). I feel terrible about the horrendous downtime. I’m sorry I haven’t replied to anyone’s messages asking what was going on -- I literally have been out of the country (and without much computer access) for over 3 months.

What happened

MOCpages is hosted at a shared facility in Boston, MA. Although I pay a lot for a “high volume” service, the facility automatically shuts down MOCpages if it uses too much CPU or makes intensive use of the database.

I left the country in mid-April, and put someone in charge of MOCpages in my absense to maintain everything. But only a few weeks later, our data center shut down the entire MOCpages database because of high traffic. ... they refused to turn it back on until I changed the way MOCpages interacted with the database. It was something that only I could fix, and not something I could do from an internet cafe in Africa, for example. :( I was aware that everything was down, but powerless to restore it.

Now that I’m back, I’ve been able to “put a band-aid” in place (as of today) that has gotten MOCpages back up and running.

The good news is that nothing was destroyed or lost; everyone’s pages are still 100% in-tact, passwords are the same, etc.

For now

For now, MOCpages will be a little slower than usual. I may have to shut down the review/rating/favorites back-end again if our facility continues to complain about the load it places on their server. I will be keeping my eyes out.

Fixes for the future

MOCpages has grown so popular in the past year (getting over a quarter million hits every DAY) that I can no longer rely on shared web hosting as a solution. Even now, the shared hosting plan costs me over $125 a month -- and we creep up to our performance caps every minute of the day.

1) MOCpages needs a dedicated server. I have already begun pricing and estimates at a new facility and for a new server, but it will require at least $500 up front, which I’m not sure I can afford to spend out-of-pocket. I was considering having a fund-raiser, much like Peeron’s successful $2000 drive late last year. What is everyone’s thoughts on this?

2) The MOCpages database needs to be optimized for high-traffic. I’d like to ask for help from the general community for this... are there any database folks out there that wouldn’t mind helping me out a bit? Perhaps just some advice would be in order.

Thanks, Sean - - - MOCpages Administrator sean@mocpages.com
Mr. Kenney, Welcome back! MOCpages is without a doubt the best place on the net for reviewing MOCs and posting and reading commentary on the same. The format and flexibility of the site are unlike anything else I have encountered. I urge you to pass operating costs to the users (the rest of us) as soon as possible. It is commendable that you have paid the bill for all of us for so long, but all free lunches must come to an end. I value access and use of MOCpages highly enough that I would gladly pay a monthly, quarterly, or annual subscription fee. 1/4 million hits per day suggests the existence of a sufficient market to support the cost of operation. Whatever solution you choose, you may rely on my continued support (as long as I don’t have to do anything remotely complicated on my computer...) Attack! Michael Rutherford