 Announcements / 3039
Subject:
LEGO toy drive for disaster relief
Newsgroups:
lugnet.announce, lugnet.people
Date:
Tue, 13 Sep 2005 19:48:48 GMT
Highlighted:
!! (details)

Hi all,

Along with the Red Cross donations matched by LEGO, we also wanted to develop a more personal giving opportunity. Huge numbers of families have lost everything in the hurricane and subsequent flooding. Since a large fraction of these have ended up in the Texas area, Anthony Sava (TexLUG member, Lugnet member, CC Admin, and Houston resident) has offered to act as a collection point for a LEGO toy drive. Here’s the plan - you buy a LEGO set and send it to Anthony in the next couple of weeks; he’ll gather these together and bring them to the Houston chapter of the Red Cross, who are distributing supplies to hurricane victims. If you are unable to mail a set, he will also take in PayPal payments and use that money to buy more sets. For addresses, please contact Anthony at savatheaggie-AT-ev1-DOT-net

We all know how fun it is to open a new LEGO set. Let’s share that fun with some kids who could use a little joy these days.

Please spread this message to other LEGO fans through other forums, LUGs, etc.

Thanks, Bruce Hietbrink

Re: LEGO toy drive for disaster relief
In lugnet.announce, Bruce Hietbrink wrote:
[...]

Bruce,

It’s good to see this happening. I will be sending information next month about donating Christmas toys to Toys for Tots - I’d be doing that now, but my inquiry to TfT was answered by a request to wait until mid-October.

Joe Meno

[...]

Just a suggestion on making your LEGO giving to farther... Check out the green tag sale at TRU. Over the past week, Mark Sandlin and I have found around 100 X-Pods at 2 bucks a pop. (Plus some clickits and Bionicle sets too) These are already going to some kids in Georgia Shelters, but it does spread the love out a bit. The good thing about the X-Pods is portablility and storage for those in shelters who might be moving around.

Just my 2 cents. Everybody be a cheerful giver.

Chris <><

Re: LEGO toy drive for disaster relief
Just a suggestion on making your LEGO giving to farther... Check out the green tag sale at TRU. Over the past week, Mark Sandlin and I have found around 100 X-Pods at 2 bucks a pop. (Plus some clickits and Bionicle sets too) These are already going to some kids in Georgia Shelters, but it does spread the love out a bit. The good thing about the X-Pods is portablility and storage for those in shelters who might be moving around.

Excellent suggestion! I’ll have to tell my wife about this. Hopefully she’ll have time tomorrow to check out the local TRU. If she finds any, I’ll suggest she get a dozen or so.

Jeff

In lugnet.people, Jeffrey Findley wrote:
   In lugnet.people, Chris Giddens wrote:

Just a suggestion on making your LEGO giving to farther... Check out the green tag sale at TRU. Over the past week, Mark Sandlin and I have found around 100 X-Pods at 2 bucks a pop. (Plus some clickits and Bionicle sets too) These are already going to some kids in Georgia Shelters, but it does spread the love out a bit. The good thing about the X-Pods is portablility and storage for those in shelters who might be moving around.

Excellent suggestion! I’ll have to tell my wife about this. Hopefully she’ll have time tomorrow to check out the local TRU. If she finds any, I’ll suggest she get a dozen or so.

Jeff

First, Check out Tuesday Morning stores, X-pods are $1.49, small pirate sets are $1.99. Then, check out Media-Play, X-pods are $1.88, some small city sets are $1.88. Then, go to TRU and pay $2.00 for X-pods.....

Paul

Re: LEGO toy drive for disaster relief