 Animation / 572
Re: Pneumatic Camera Tilt Unit
Newsgroups:
lugnet.animation, lugnet.build, lugnet.technic
Date:
Mon, 6 Oct 2003 19:47:51 GMT

At 12:03 PM 10/6/2003, you wrote:
[bigger snip]

Ah..., but you don't really need the back and the front controlled by
pistons do
you?

I would think that keeping the front hinged and the back actuated would
give you
what you want.  With two pistons ganged together, you can achieve tilt down,
level and tilt up.  Then you have four more pistons to do whatever you want.

You really don't *need* both sides actuated, but it allows one to raise the
platform as well. Not really necessary, I suppose.

I presume you mean two pistons ganged end-to-end. I think this would work
much better, but so far have not found any really good ways to do this
without putting undue stress on at least some of the connection. Do you
have a good geometry in mind?

[snip]

If you control the platform pistons using pistons instead of switches, • you can
have a more analog situation.  You can hook two pistons together.  By
expanding
and contracting one piston, you can expand/contract the other piston.

That's a good idea, something that hadn't occurred to me. This would
eliminate the pumps and the airtank and the switches, and a lot more of the
tubing. However, like I said earlier, I don't have enough pistons to do
this. I really need two control pistons to flip the two 'working' pistons.
There isn't enough air contained in one piston to fully flip two working
pistons, especially under load.

Ah, but if you simply hinge the front, and control the back with a single
piston, that is driven by a single piston, you can get very fine control and
still have four pistons left over.

Very true. I'll have to try that. Thanks for the idea!

~Mike