 Animation / 561
  Pneumatic Camera Tilt Unit

Hello all, For an animation project I'm starting, a camera tilt and pan unit became necessary. Here's half of it, the tilt part. (I haven't designed the pan part yet) Forgive me if I'm misposting this; this is my first major MOC post. Deep links: (...) (21 years ago, 3-Oct-03, to lugnet.animation, lugnet.build, lugnet.technic)

  Re: Pneumatic Camera Tilt Unit

(...) Hi Mike, I could not get any of your links to work..... Any hints? Kevin (21 years ago, 5-Oct-03, to lugnet.animation, lugnet.build, lugnet.technic)

  Re: Pneumatic Camera Tilt Unit

(...) They work like a charm to me!? Cool use of pneumatics Mike, how is control? Pneumatics tend to "jump" from one position to another that would give a pretty non-smooth camera pan? The airtank (yours and the LEGO version); Does it really need an (...) (21 years ago, 6-Oct-03, to lugnet.animation, lugnet.build, lugnet.technic)

  Re: Pneumatic Camera Tilt Unit

(...) It works for me...odd. Anyway, I made that post about half an hour after I uploaded the pictures, so I didn't think a moderated folder link would be much good. Now that it is moderated... (URL) for looking, ~Mike (21 years ago, 6-Oct-03, to lugnet.animation, lugnet.build, lugnet.technic)

  Re: Pneumatic Camera Tilt Unit

(...) Yeah, it does somewhat. One thing that helps is not to pressurize the tank all the way. If there isn't much pressure it doesn't "jump" as much and helps keep increments small. Another thing that's helpful is not to flip the switch all the way (...) (21 years ago, 6-Oct-03, to lugnet.animation, lugnet.build, lugnet.technic)

  Re: Pneumatic Camera Tilt Unit

(...) Hi Bauchaile, I don't post with in-line images because not everyone has broadband. (...) I love to see new pneumatic projects! I was curious why you needed three switches. It seems like a front switch and a back switch would be sufficient. It (...) (21 years ago, 6-Oct-03, to lugnet.animation, lugnet.build, lugnet.technic)

  Re: Pneumatic Camera Tilt Unit

(...) They work for me now also. (...) I guess I was curious why you used pneumatics. I would think a motor/gear/rotation sensor would give you very fine angular resolution and variable speed. You also would only need to control either the front or (...) (21 years ago, 6-Oct-03, to lugnet.animation, lugnet.build, lugnet.technic)

  Re: Pneumatic Camera Tilt Unit

(...) Yes, you're right - two switches would have been entirely sufficient. I just wanted another switch so I could add a release valve, that's all. :) I think originally I wanted something in there so I could bypass the tank and pump directly to (...) (21 years ago, 6-Oct-03, to lugnet.animation, lugnet.build, lugnet.technic)

  Re: Pneumatic Camera Tilt Unit

(...) [snip] (...) Ah..., but you don't really need the back and the front controlled by pistons do you? I would think that keeping the front hinged and the back actuated would give you what you want. With two pistons ganged together, you can (...) (21 years ago, 6-Oct-03, to lugnet.animation, lugnet.build, lugnet.technic)

  Re: Pneumatic Camera Tilt Unit

(...) You really don't *need* both sides actuated, but it allows one to raise the platform as well. Not really necessary, I suppose. I presume you mean two pistons ganged end-to-end. I think this would work much better, but so far have not found any (...) (21 years ago, 6-Oct-03, to lugnet.animation, lugnet.build, lugnet.technic)

  Re: Pneumatic Camera Tilt Unit

(...) It just so happens that I have a good geometry :^) (URL) Very true. I'll have to try that. Thanks for the idea! Sure. It is always a pleasure to talk to you Mike. (...) Kevin (21 years ago, 6-Oct-03, to lugnet.animation, lugnet.build, lugnet.technic)