 Animation / 569
Re: Pneumatic Camera Tilt Unit
Newsgroups:
lugnet.animation, lugnet.build, lugnet.technic
Date:
Mon, 6 Oct 2003 13:40:49 GMT

At 08:20 AM 10/6/2003, you wrote:
I was curious why you needed three switches.  It seems like a front switch
and a
back switch would be sufficient.

It seems like you have four possible positions for the camera:

Front contracted, back contracted - camera low but level

Front expanded, back contracted - camera tilted up

Front expanded, back expanded - camera high but level

Front contracted, back expanded - camera tilted down

Yes, you're right -  two switches would have been entirely sufficient. I
just wanted another switch so I could add a release valve, that's all. :) I
think originally I wanted something in there so I could bypass the tank and
pump directly to the pistons, but somehow that got implemented as a release
valve instead. Don't know how that happened. I may add a bypass link in
there someday.

If you'd like more possible angles, you canhook two of your pistons back
to back
in each corner of the platform.

Except that I only have two more pistons. :)

This cwould give you thrr positions in the front and three positions in the
back, for a total of 9 tilt position/angles.

Nine binary positions, anyway. I still need the intermediate positions to
make the final tracking shot look smooth. I wish there was a way to only
allow a specific quantity of air into the pistons.

Yes it will give you a wide range of motion, but pneumatic pistons
controlled by
switches are binary in nature, so you only really have 4 steady state
position/angles for the camera.

Correct - and they'll be used quite a bit, as a solid position to hold the
camera. I really ought to CAD this whole thing with LSynth so I can put it
back together eventually if I take it apart.

If you control the platform pistons using pistons instead of switches, you can
have a more analog situation.  You can hook two pistons together.  By
expanding
and contracting one piston, you can expand/contract the other piston.

That's a good idea, something that hadn't occurred to me. This would
eliminate the pumps and the airtank and the switches, and a lot more of the
tubing. However, like I said earlier, I don't have enough pistons to do
this. I really need two control pistons to flip the two 'working' pistons.
There isn't enough air contained in one piston to fully flip two working
pistons, especially under load.

I could, though, use my remaining pistons together to just move one side of
the platform. I don't think I need to do any full tilts (fully up to fully
down) at any point in the film, so I could rig it for just one half of the
platform and switch the control pistons to the other set when I get to that
point. I like that idea, I'll try it.

Fun project!  Thanks for sharing!

Thanks for looking at it! I appreciate the feedback.

~Mike