 Animation / 561

Subject:
Pneumatic Camera Tilt Unit
Newsgroups:
lugnet.animation, lugnet.build, lugnet.technic
Date:
Fri, 3 Oct 2003 12:55:04 GMT

Hello all,

For an animation project I'm starting, a camera tilt and pan unit became
necessary. Here's half of it, the tilt part. (I haven't designed the pan part
yet) Forgive me if I'm misposting this; this is my first major MOC post.

Deep links: (forgive me for simply providing URL's. I haven't quite figured out
the FTX system here yet)

<http://brickshelf.com/gallery/Buachaille/camtilt/aaa_overview.jpg>

An overview of the mechanism. It's powered by three hand pumps and utilizes
four
pistons, three switches and a homebrew airtank to move the camera.

The camera sits securely on a small platform. The platform was designed to hold
the camera without allowing any camera shaking or wobbling - and it worked.
That
camera sits in there solid as a rock. The tilt mechanism may be a little shaky,
but the camera ain't goin' nowhere.

The platform is manipulated by four pistons, each connected upside-down to a
corner of the platform. One switch manipulates two pistons (a set in the front
and a set in the back), allowing me to raise, lower or tilt the platform up or
down. A fairly wide range of motion - I would guess around 30 degrees.

<http://brickshelf.com/gallery/Buachaille/camtilt/pistons.jpg>

The pistons are shown here, connected to the platform. I'm sorry if the
pictures
are unclear where the camera sits; I had to use it to take the photos. :)

<http://brickshelf.com/gallery/Buachaille/camtilt/cam.jpg>

This photo shows where the camera sits. The lense aperture fits right next to
the 1x2 white slope on the left side. The LCD viewer is located just above the
2x2 tiles on the back, allowing me to see what I'm doing while I'm manipulating
switches.

<http://brickshelf.com/gallery/Buachaille/camtilt/switches.jpg>

I kept it simple and only used three switches. The left and right switches
control a set of pistons each; the right switch controls the front and the left
switch controls the back. Moving a switch to the UP position raises the
platform, moving it down obviously lets it down. A wide variety of camera
angles
are possible by manipulating both switches together.

The middle switch is the main control valve. The line coming from the airtank
(shown below) plugs into this. One output line from this switch feeds the other
two switches and the other output line is a release valve. I've fount I can
pump
the hand pumps at least 80 times before I pop a hose. Remember that the pumps
are connected together, so that's 240 single pump compressions. In a very
scientific test, I found that the airtank, fully pressurized, could flip (from
one state to another) one set of pistons with no load around 75 times and a
single small piston around 390 times.

<http://brickshelf.com/gallery/Buachaille/camtilt/tank.jpg>

An 8oz/237ml bottle with a couple of hard tubes hotglued in, connected to three
hand pumps. It's quite a job to fully pressurize but once you do it just keeps
going...and going...and going...well, 390 times anyway. I found the hotglue to
work surprisingly well - I haven't had a single leak from the airtank. (my
hoses
tend to leak a lot, but only because the cat likes to get her claws into them)

The last three photos show the range of motion available to the camera:

<http://brickshelf.com/gallery/Buachaille/camtilt/camrange1.jpg>
<http://brickshelf.com/gallery/Buachaille/camtilt/camrange2.jpg>
<http://brickshelf.com/gallery/Buachaille/camtilt/camrange3.jpg>

As always, PLMKWYT,

~Mike "hoping-this-overlong-post-goes-through" Thorn

Re: Pneumatic Camera Tilt Unit
lugnet.animation, lugnet.build, lugnet.technic
Date:
Sun, 5 Oct 2003 14:47:49 GMT

In lugnet.animation, Mike Thorn wrote:
Hello all,

For an animation project I'm starting, a camera tilt and pan unit became
necessary. Here's half of it, the tilt part. (I haven't designed the pan part
yet) Forgive me if I'm misposting this; this is my first major MOC post.

Deep links: (forgive me for simply providing URL's. I haven't quite figured out
the FTX system here yet)

<http://brickshelf.com/gallery/Buachaille/camtilt/aaa_overview.jpg>

Hi Mike,

  I could not get any of your links to work..... Any hints?

Kevin

Re: Pneumatic Camera Tilt Unit
lugnet.animation, lugnet.build, lugnet.technic
Date:
Mon, 6 Oct 2003 09:03:05 GMT

In lugnet.animation, Kevin L. Clague wrote:
In lugnet.animation, Mike Thorn wrote:
Hello all,

For an animation project I'm starting, a camera tilt and pan unit became
necessary. Here's half of it, the tilt part. (I haven't designed the pan part
yet) Forgive me if I'm misposting this; this is my first major MOC post.

Deep links: (forgive me for simply providing URL's. I haven't quite figured out
the FTX system here yet)

<http://brickshelf.com/gallery/Buachaille/camtilt/aaa_overview.jpg>

Hi Mike,

  I could not get any of your links to work..... Any hints?

They work like a charm to me!?

Cool use of pneumatics Mike, how is control? Pneumatics tend to "jump" from one
position to another that would give a pretty non-smooth camera pan?

The airtank (yours and the LEGO version);
Does it really need an in and out? Would not an in be enough since it would act
as out as the preassure in the rest of the system drops?

--
Best regards,
/Tobbe

Re: Pneumatic Camera Tilt Unit
lugnet.animation, lugnet.build, lugnet.technic
Date:
Mon, 6 Oct 2003 12:13:04 GMT

For an animation project I'm starting, a camera tilt and pan unit became
necessary. Here's half of it, the tilt part. (I haven't designed the • pan part
yet) Forgive me if I'm misposting this; this is my first major MOC post.

Deep links: (forgive me for simply providing URL's. I haven't quite • figured out
the FTX system here yet)

<http://brickshelf.com/gallery/Buachaille/camtilt/aaa_overview.jpg>

Hi Mike,

  I could not get any of your links to work..... Any hints?

They work like a charm to me!?

Cool use of pneumatics Mike, how is control? Pneumatics tend to "jump"
from one
position to another that would give a pretty non-smooth camera pan?

Yeah, it does somewhat. One thing that helps is not to pressurize the tank
all the way. If there isn't much pressure it doesn't "jump" as much and
helps keep increments small. Another thing that's helpful is not to flip
the switch all the way - just move it to a point where a tiny little bit of
air leaks through. I really don't want to tilt the platform more than a
degree or two, for the best results - it takes a lot of frames to make
something smooth, more than you would think.

It's really not quite the best way to do it, just because control is hard,
but I'm not sure how else I could do it that would maintain the same
steadiness and small size (which is an issue).

Once again, a regulated switch with a little more control would be nice.
And a pressure meter, since  John Barnes dissolved his sensor stuff.

The airtank (yours and the LEGO version);
Does it really need an in and out? Would not an in be enough since it
would act
as out as the preassure in the rest of the system drops?

I think you're right, except for one thing: you would not be able to use
the system while you're pumping. Air would constantly be pumped IN and
there would be no way for air to get OUT. With a compressor, for instance,
this would be impossible to use.

And if one used a huge bottle (like a 2-liter soft drink bottle) and
pressurized it beforehand, there's no reason why you couldn't cap one pipe
for a one-outlet tank. It would be pretty simple, I think. The antennas
come in handy for once.

~Mike

Re: Pneumatic Camera Tilt Unit
lugnet.animation, lugnet.build, lugnet.technic
Date:
Mon, 6 Oct 2003 12:33:10 GMT

In lugnet.animation, Mike Thorn wrote:
For an animation project I'm starting, a camera tilt and pan unit became
necessary. Here's half of it, the tilt part. (I haven't designed the pan part
yet) Forgive me if I'm misposting this; this is my first major MOC post.

Deep links: (forgive me for simply providing URL's. I haven't quite figured out
the FTX system here yet)

<http://brickshelf.com/gallery/Buachaille/camtilt/aaa_overview.jpg>

Hi Mike,

  I could not get any of your links to work..... Any hints?

They work like a charm to me!?

They work for me now also.

Cool use of pneumatics Mike, how is control? Pneumatics tend to "jump"
from one
position to another that would give a pretty non-smooth camera pan?

Yeah, it does somewhat. One thing that helps is not to pressurize the tank
all the way. If there isn't much pressure it doesn't "jump" as much and
helps keep increments small. Another thing that's helpful is not to flip
the switch all the way - just move it to a point where a tiny little bit of
air leaks through. I really don't want to tilt the platform more than a
degree or two, for the best results - it takes a lot of frames to make
something smooth, more than you would think.

I guess I was curious why you used pneumatics.  I would think a
motor/gear/rotation sensor would give you very fine angular resolution and
variable speed.  You also would only need to control either the front or the
back, but not both.

By using a motor/rotation sensor, you could have the RCX compute the desired
tilt angle from some kind of camera script that describes certain way points at
specific frame numbers (key frames?) or time.

You could provide a similar mechanism for pan.

It's really not quite the best way to do it, just because control is hard,
but I'm not sure how else I could do it that would maintain the same
steadiness and small size (which is an issue).

Once again, a regulated switch with a little more control would be nice.
And a pressure meter, since  John Barnes dissolved his sensor stuff.

Tecno-stuff sells pressure sensors.  I just bought one.

The airtank (yours and the LEGO version);
Does it really need an in and out? Would not an in be enough since it
would act
as out as the preassure in the rest of the system drops?

I think you're right, except for one thing: you would not be able to use
the system while you're pumping. Air would constantly be pumped IN and
there would be no way for air to get OUT. With a compressor, for instance,
this would be impossible to use.

Hmmmm.  I'm not sure this is true.  The pressure wave that is created by you
pumping will get distributed to both the tank and the platform lift pistons.

And if one used a huge bottle (like a 2-liter soft drink bottle) and
pressurized it beforehand, there's no reason why you couldn't cap one pipe
for a one-outlet tank. It would be pretty simple, I think. The antennas
come in handy for once.

Light Sabres work well too.

~Mike

Kevin

Re: Pneumatic Camera Tilt Unit
lugnet.animation, lugnet.build, lugnet.technic
Date:
Mon, 6 Oct 2003 12:03:39 GMT

For an animation project I'm starting, a camera tilt and pan unit became
necessary. Here's half of it, the tilt part. (I haven't designed the • pan part
yet) Forgive me if I'm misposting this; this is my first major MOC post.

Deep links: (forgive me for simply providing URL's. I haven't quite • figured out
the FTX system here yet)

<http://brickshelf.com/gallery/Buachaille/camtilt/aaa_overview.jpg>

Hi Mike,

  I could not get any of your links to work..... Any hints?

It works for me...odd. Anyway, I made that post about half an hour after I
uploaded the pictures, so I didn't think a moderated folder link would be
much good. Now that it is moderated...

http://brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=58539

Thanks for looking,
~Mike

Re: Pneumatic Camera Tilt Unit
lugnet.animation, lugnet.build, lugnet.technic
Date:
Mon, 6 Oct 2003 12:20:42 GMT

In lugnet.animation, Mike Thorn wrote:
Hello all,

For an animation project I'm starting, a camera tilt and pan unit became
necessary. Here's half of it, the tilt part. (I haven't designed the pan part
yet) Forgive me if I'm misposting this; this is my first major MOC post.

Deep links: (forgive me for simply providing URL's. I haven't quite figured out
the FTX system here yet)

Hi Bauchaile,

I don't post with in-line images because not everyone has broadband.

<http://brickshelf.com/gallery/Buachaille/camtilt/aaa_overview.jpg>

An overview of the mechanism. It's powered by three hand pumps and utilizes
four
pistons, three switches and a homebrew airtank to move the camera.

The camera sits securely on a small platform. The platform was designed to hold
the camera without allowing any camera shaking or wobbling - and it worked.
That
camera sits in there solid as a rock. The tilt mechanism may be a little shaky,
but the camera ain't goin' nowhere.

I love to see new pneumatic projects!

I was curious why you needed three switches.  It seems like a front switch and a
back switch would be sufficient.

It seems like you have four possible positions for the camera:

Front contracted, back contracted - camera low but level

Front expanded, back contracted - camera tilted up

Front expanded, back expanded - camera high but level

Front contracted, back expanded - camera tilted down

If you'd like more possible angles, you canhook two of your pistons back to back
in each corner of the platform.

This cwould give you thrr positions in the front and three positions in the
back, for a total of 9 tilt position/angles.

The platform is manipulated by four pistons, each connected upside-down to a
corner of the platform. One switch manipulates two pistons (a set in the front
and a set in the back), allowing me to raise, lower or tilt the platform up or
down. A fairly wide range of motion - I would guess around 30 degrees.

<http://brickshelf.com/gallery/Buachaille/camtilt/pistons.jpg>

Yes it will give you a wide range of motion, but pneumatic pistons controlled by
switches are binary in nature, so you only really have 4 steady state
position/angles for the camera.

If you control the platform pistons using pistons instead of switches, you can
have a more analog situation.  You can hook two pistons together.  By expanding
and contracting one piston, you can expand/contract the other piston.

[...]

Fun project!  Thanks for sharing!

~Mike "hoping-this-overlong-post-goes-through" Thorn

Kevin

Re: Pneumatic Camera Tilt Unit
lugnet.animation, lugnet.build, lugnet.technic
Date:
Mon, 6 Oct 2003 13:40:49 GMT

I was curious why you needed three switches.  It seems like a front switch
and a
back switch would be sufficient.

It seems like you have four possible positions for the camera:

Front contracted, back contracted - camera low but level

Front expanded, back contracted - camera tilted up

Front expanded, back expanded - camera high but level

Front contracted, back expanded - camera tilted down

Yes, you're right -  two switches would have been entirely sufficient. I
just wanted another switch so I could add a release valve, that's all. :) I
think originally I wanted something in there so I could bypass the tank and
pump directly to the pistons, but somehow that got implemented as a release
valve instead. Don't know how that happened. I may add a bypass link in
there someday.

If you'd like more possible angles, you canhook two of your pistons back
to back
in each corner of the platform.

Except that I only have two more pistons. :)

This cwould give you thrr positions in the front and three positions in the
back, for a total of 9 tilt position/angles.

Nine binary positions, anyway. I still need the intermediate positions to
make the final tracking shot look smooth. I wish there was a way to only
allow a specific quantity of air into the pistons.

Yes it will give you a wide range of motion, but pneumatic pistons
controlled by
switches are binary in nature, so you only really have 4 steady state
position/angles for the camera.

Correct - and they'll be used quite a bit, as a solid position to hold the
camera. I really ought to CAD this whole thing with LSynth so I can put it
back together eventually if I take it apart.

If you control the platform pistons using pistons instead of switches, you can
have a more analog situation.  You can hook two pistons together.  By
expanding
and contracting one piston, you can expand/contract the other piston.

That's a good idea, something that hadn't occurred to me. This would
eliminate the pumps and the airtank and the switches, and a lot more of the
tubing. However, like I said earlier, I don't have enough pistons to do
this. I really need two control pistons to flip the two 'working' pistons.
There isn't enough air contained in one piston to fully flip two working
pistons, especially under load.

I could, though, use my remaining pistons together to just move one side of
the platform. I don't think I need to do any full tilts (fully up to fully
down) at any point in the film, so I could rig it for just one half of the
platform and switch the control pistons to the other set when I get to that
point. I like that idea, I'll try it.

Fun project!  Thanks for sharing!

Thanks for looking at it! I appreciate the feedback.

~Mike

Re: Pneumatic Camera Tilt Unit