 Animation / 566
Re: Pneumatic Camera Tilt Unit
Newsgroups:
lugnet.animation, lugnet.build, lugnet.technic
Date:
Mon, 6 Oct 2003 12:13:04 GMT

At 05:03 AM 10/6/2003, you wrote:
In lugnet.animation, Kevin L. Clague wrote:
In lugnet.animation, Mike Thorn wrote:
Hello all,

For an animation project I'm starting, a camera tilt and pan unit became
necessary. Here's half of it, the tilt part. (I haven't designed the • pan part
yet) Forgive me if I'm misposting this; this is my first major MOC post.

Deep links: (forgive me for simply providing URL's. I haven't quite • figured out
the FTX system here yet)

<http://brickshelf.com/gallery/Buachaille/camtilt/aaa_overview.jpg>

Hi Mike,

  I could not get any of your links to work..... Any hints?

They work like a charm to me!?

Cool use of pneumatics Mike, how is control? Pneumatics tend to "jump"
from one
position to another that would give a pretty non-smooth camera pan?

Yeah, it does somewhat. One thing that helps is not to pressurize the tank
all the way. If there isn't much pressure it doesn't "jump" as much and
helps keep increments small. Another thing that's helpful is not to flip
the switch all the way - just move it to a point where a tiny little bit of
air leaks through. I really don't want to tilt the platform more than a
degree or two, for the best results - it takes a lot of frames to make
something smooth, more than you would think.

It's really not quite the best way to do it, just because control is hard,
but I'm not sure how else I could do it that would maintain the same
steadiness and small size (which is an issue).

Once again, a regulated switch with a little more control would be nice.
And a pressure meter, since  John Barnes dissolved his sensor stuff.

The airtank (yours and the LEGO version);
Does it really need an in and out? Would not an in be enough since it
would act
as out as the preassure in the rest of the system drops?

I think you're right, except for one thing: you would not be able to use
the system while you're pumping. Air would constantly be pumped IN and
there would be no way for air to get OUT. With a compressor, for instance,
this would be impossible to use.

And if one used a huge bottle (like a 2-liter soft drink bottle) and
pressurized it beforehand, there's no reason why you couldn't cap one pipe
for a one-outlet tank. It would be pretty simple, I think. The antennas
come in handy for once.

~Mike