 Ambassadors / 115
Re: Your Thoughts on the LEGO Ambassadors Program
Newsgroups:
lugnet.ambassadors
Date:
Thu, 15 Mar 2007 20:54:35 GMT

What do you think the LEGO Ambassador program is about?

I think it’s about getting fan input from the LEGO community to appropriate places within the LEGO Group. Specifically, I think it’s a “pull” process where TLG requests info from Ambassadors (in the form of polls, forum posts and discussions, etc) who solicit comments from the community at large as well as provide their own insight. At least, that’s what my 3 cycles as an Ambassador taught me.

What should the LEGO Ambassador program be about?

I think it should be more of a 2-way street. Initially, I think it was meant to be that way (at least that’s my take), but that seemed to shift during the 18 months I was involved to more of the one-way model I described above.

For example, Ambassadors lobbied (successfully) to be able to make some “official” announcements (or pre-announcements, if you will) like when a newer version of LDD would be released. But I think that was the exception to the rule, and I haven’t seen much in the way of Ambassadors bringing stuff back out of the process. I know a lot of it can’t always be divulged (heck, I still know of stuff that hasn’t been released, more than a year after leaving the program), but something is better than nothing. Status reports, etc. (Yes, I know, I was asked to do one and I never did... mea culpa.)

I would like to see more public “ambassadorial” activities, too. One of the earliest things we discussed was how an ambassador behaves at public events, as a semi-official voice in the fan community. I recall Felix having some excellent points about that subject. But apart from the highly embarrassing keynote speech I gave as an ambassador during NWBC a year or two ago, I don’t know of much publicly being done by Ambassadors in their “official” capacities.

This implies that TLG would divulge more info to Ambassadors, perhaps basic background info. Which I’m not sure the company is ready to do.

Speak up! Speak out! I know how much effort goes into being an Ambassador - let everyone else know too! TLG, give ‘em something to say!

Ahem. I’m done now.

Kelly