 Adventurers / 2033
2032  |  2034
Subject:
The Adventurers Travel in Style
Newsgroups:
lugnet.adventurers, lugnet.trains
Date:
Mon, 22 Nov 2004 06:38:11 GMT
Highlighted:
!! (details)

I finally completed my lastest project, The Adventurer’s Expedition Train.

Finally, Johnny Thunder, Miss Pippin Reed, and Professor Kilroy can travel in style as they cross the continent looking for adventure.

The train consists of 4 custom train cars, a modified stock Lego engine with tender, and a modified stock caboose.

My goal for this was to make a complete train, based on the Adventurer’s line, that had a high playability factor.

I started with the stock engine from set #4535, and modified it a bit. I added a second motor, changed out the windows, added a smokestack, plow, and extended the nose a bit. To give it a bit more of the Adventurer’s feel, I added a bit of decoration on the front, and added my train engineer, Ivan.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/taltosVT/AdventuersTrain/dscf0003.jpg

The second car holds the major equipment for any expedition. The car and trailer combination will hold two minifigs (perfect for Johnny and Miss Pippin), two crates full of gear (currently two pairs of snowshoes, binoculars, 2 pistols, 2 ice axes, two different hammers, a screwdriver, a wrench, an oil can,a hatchet, and a sextant), as well as 2 rifles, a pickaxe and a shovel. There are also backpacks attached for those times when travel by foot is the only way to go. The car, with its trusty steam powered engine, also has a handy trunk, just right for bringing home all of that hidden treasure.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/taltosVT/AdventuersTrain/dscf0012.jpg

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/taltosVT/AdventuersTrain/dscf0026.jpg

Next in line is the first sleeping car. It has bunk space for two, a table, and a nice warm cast iron stove (difficult to see in the pictures) which vents to the outside. The roof of the car lifts away, so that the inside may be reached during play.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/taltosVT/AdventuersTrain/dscf0027.jpg

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/taltosVT/AdventuersTrain/dscf0029.jpg

Being the gentlemen that they are, Johnny and Professor Kilroy insisted that Miss Pippin have her own private car, so the third car in line serves as a second set of living quarters. I tried to match the color scheme of the first car, but I ran low on brown log bricks and green windows. My 8 year-old saved the day by coming up with the alternating green/brown idea. As it turns out, fewer windows meant more privacy for Miss Reed while she sleeps in her four-poster bed. Her car also includes a table (with flowers provided by Ivan), and a warm stove. She has the additional luxury of a gas-powered lamp just outside her door to help her find her way on those cold nights.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/taltosVT/AdventuersTrain/dscf0039.jpg

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/taltosVT/AdventuersTrain/dscf0041.jpg

Following the sleeping cars is a second flat-bed. This car carries a large row-boat with oars secured inside, as well as Professor Kilroy’s travelling study. While crated up in boxes, the Professor’s books and gear stay securly stowed by the tight cargo net attached to the train car. When unpacked, the crates and chests serve as both a desk, and large bookshelf for the learned scholar. While Pippin and Johnny are out in the field, Professor Kilroy has ample time to ponder his maps and tomes, as well as enjoy a hot meal.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/taltosVT/AdventuersTrain/dscf0047.jpg

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/taltosVT/AdventuersTrain/dscf0055.jpg

Finally, the train is ended by a stock caboose, also from set #4535, just with a change in the color scheme (and a few bricks) to make it fit with the Adventurer’s train. The caboose also features a table and stove, so that Ivan can stay warm and fed while the others are away on expedition.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/taltosVT/AdventuersTrain/dscf0046.jpg

And finally, just to prove that it really does run without all the cargo and minifigs spilling all over the place, there’s a quick AVI at the end of the folder showing the train rounding a corner of track.

Complete folder (with many more pictures) after moderation: http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=106002

Quick building note: The most difficult thing to do with this train was to get everything secured onto the flatcars so that the train could take corners at high speed. My daughter and I had a great time testing this out.

Go Adventurers!

-Elroy