 Administrative / General / 13557
Re: Important: Index rebuild under way and some other issues
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Thu, 22 Jun 2006 01:02:11 GMT

"Gereon "Jerry" Stein" <gereon@zweistein.de> wrote in message

[ ... snipped ... ]

Mike, you got me here: 8080 is certainly no port I heard of so far (it's a
common "high" port for some webservers, but AFAIK only 8000 and 1119 are
said to
have been used for NNTP client access).

Well, I was definitely using port 8080, yet another undocumented port?

Please tell me we have a misunderstanding here and you are talking about
_web
browser_ access (which should work on the standard port 80 everyone is
using).

Nope.  Using Outlook Express for NNTP access.

Otherwise, please specify the client program you are using and I will try
find out what's wrong. 1119 is definitely the NNTP server port and it
positively
does work (I am using it heavily and lots of others are, too).

As far as I can tell, my employer is blocking port 1119 but not 8080 (which
I used to use.  I can connect to LUGNET via port 1119 from home or as I am
right now, from a hotel.  Any chance you make port 8080 work?

[ ... snipped ... ]

Mike

Mike Walsh - mike_walsh at mindspring.com