Re: Article text
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 26 Feb 2004 13:47:05 GMT

In lugnet.general, Ken Nagel wrote:
   Load number 2... It’s been tested over and over again that consumers like warmer colors (ie. no blue cast) which is why all the Lego stores use warm lighting. I’d like to know how the room was lit when they tested this as it would drasticly skew the test subjects color perception.

Nah, I doubt it was the lighting so much as the questions they were asking. Warmer colors are more likable and inviting, but cooler colors are, well, cooler; they’re perceived as newer, more high-tech, and exciting. I’m trying to find the post where somebody transcribed the questions from a Lego marketing survey a couple of days ago, but I seem to remember that “coolness” was the overriding factor being measured (Is this toy cooler than your other Lego toys? Is it cooler than your friend’s toys? etc.).

This coolness-worship is probably a result of everyone buying so much Bionicle. Come on, don’t tell me you didn’t know it was wrong.

   She also adds that it would be very expensive for LEGO Company to have bricks in both the old and the new grey colors.

Ok this takes the cake. How stupid do they think we are!?!?!? It would be no more expensive to produce grey and bley than it is to produce bley and pink or any other of the multitude of colors that have come along lately.

The difference being, if you spend the money making bley and pink, the customer sees two separate colors and gets excited. If you spend the money to make bley and gray, 95% of your customers see only one color anyway, so you might as well never have spent the extra money at all. (The same argument is true for replacing Lego ABS with Mega-Bloks-like PVC, which is why I think we’re seeing so many new Lego elements in the substandard-grade plastic lately.)

But I think the production expense is the least of their worries, the biggest hit to Lego’s pocketbook would be the marketing hassle. There’s no easy way to get the average consumer to know that there are two different grays, and to be able to differentiate between them when they’re making their buying decisions. In fact the mere knowledge that there are two incompatible gray colors on the shelf adds enough extra complication to the consumer’s experience, that it acts as a deterrent to them buying Lego at all.

bionicle
(score: 0.304)

Subject:
Bringing the bionicle and technic folks back together ;-)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Fri, 13 Feb 2004 19:18:41 GMT

http://www.roboticspot.com/spot/artic.shtml?todo=&block=8&newspage=robots

bionicle
(score: 0.304)

Re: AFOLs - The comic! ideas
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego, lugnet.general, lugnet.org
Date:
Thu, 26 Feb 2004 06:53:11 GMT

In lugnet.lego, Jake McKee wrote:

I've posted this draft to get your feedback. We'd love to hear your thoughts
on the comics, or ideas for strips we may have missed. What other types of
information can we put in along with the comics to help pull in the
"Sleepers"?

Jake,
I like the comic. I think it is a good idea. Whilst reading it, I thought of a
few more strip ideas:

A AFOL meeting a family, and having more to talk about with the 8 year old kid
than with the parents.

Sigfigs (minifigs that look like you)

Cofigs (minfigs that look like co-workers, co-habitants)

H.O.G.

Speaking almost entirely in set numbers/acronyms.

TRS employees that know you by name. Or AFOL's that know TRS delivery schedules.

Bank card agents that know you by name.

Tent sales and buying/borrowing a car based on net interior space.

BS pictures to prove you actually DID buy a gazillion copies of that set.

Lego widows aka NLSO's

The abundance of Minifig females.

The extreme safety of Legoland due to the over-population of Police & Fire
units.

Train shows with lots of grand buildings and wonderful trains, and the only
thing they talk about is the video/pictures of the train wreck.

"I didn't know Lego made trains."

Two household Lego collections: one for 'the kids', and one for 'the adults'.

Bribing the local/your own kids to help you sort.

Disassembling Technic.

Pronouncing Bionicle.

Your mother/coworker discovering that single Lego SW set you bought and built
just for olde times sake.

Taking the kids to Legoland, and spending all your time gawking at Miniland.

Not realizing 'Lego' is Danish.

Dark ages.

Finding your olde collection tucked away at your parent's flat.

Seeing a set and fondly remembering your first.

Stepping on a Lego brand building brick.

Hope that helps,
Clark

bionicle
(score: 0.304)

Re: Another couple of pictures of someone's Brickshelf order.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.fun
Date:
Wed, 25 Feb 2004 03:36:21 GMT

In lugnet.fun, Dawn Sullivan wrote:
   In lugnet.space, Ley Ward wrote:
   Hey folks,

Several people have raised the bar rather high for MOCs, and that’s a good thing after all. But, what about those tedious pictures of something someone bought on BrickLink or at PaB or wherever. It’s time to spice thngs up; it’s all about presentation after all. Here’s some pieces I got a while ago from BrickLink for instance:
Hey, if you didn’t want to see anymore pics of my parts, you could have just said so Ley. :( Fine, won’t post a list of the PaB selection either.

Oops. Um, sorry... ‘tedious’ was a bad choice of word. I didn’t really mean you, I was thinking more about a recent Brickshelf file of an out-of-focus purple bionicle slug in the middle of a vast expanse of out-of-focus upholstery at 1600x1200 pixels. Sorry I can’t find it to link to it now; I actually found it funny. But, hey, I’ve put up the occasional blurry picture myself, and I’m sure some folks may find endless variations of sheep rather tedious too. (please check the link; it contains two of my favorite reviews) So, like they say: people in glass houses shouldn’t stow thrones.

I’d be happy to see more pics. (Isn’t that what Eric Sophie has been trying to get from you?) And, I guess I’ll have to beg you to post that list now.

   Well done again Professor ;)

Dawn

Thank you very much.

Peace and chagrin,

Professor Whateverly

PS. You get extra respect from me for starting the Bricklink donation ball rolling, as do the others who’ve joined in..

bionicle
(score: 0.304)

Subject:
US S@H Specials, Feb 25 - Mar 2, 2004
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.shopping, lugnet.announce.lsahs
Date:
Wed, 25 Feb 2004 18:49:33 GMT

http://www.lugnet.com/lsahs/

1-800-835-4386 (hit 1 when the recording starts - may have to hit 1
again)

Baby/Duplo/Primo/Explore
3652    Stack'n'Learn Smile Collection     $14.99    $ 7.50
2832    Tinkerbell                         $ 9.99    $ 5.00
3327    Intellitrain Station               $24.99    $12.50

System
1351    Car Stunt Studio                   $19.99    $10.00
1356    Stunt Man Catapult                 $ 3.99    $ 2.00
4166    Mickey's Car Garage                $19.99    $10.00
4174    Max Goes Flying                    $14.99    $ 7.50
4175    Adventures w/Max & Tina            $19.99    $10.00

Bulk

Racers

Technic

Clikits

Jack Stone

Galidor

Scala

Bellville

Bionicle/Throwbots

Dacta

Misc
TS15    LOM Tshirt
          Youth M                          $12.00    $ 5.00

Very Limited quantities

Not on sale, but limited quantities

--
Tom Stangl