 Year / 2002 / 318
Re: Galidor, for good or bad
Newsgroups:
lugnet.year.2002
Date:
Thu, 7 Feb 2002 05:49:44 GMT

Jonathan Lill writes:
Lego.com now has a page for Galidor and they are updating it apparently in a
lead up to the Toy Fair.

Hmmm, a "revolutionary toy concept?"  I'm still waiting to hear what
distinguishes these from the Socket Poppers action figures I bought about 10
years ago.

BTW, I think I saw a TV ad indicating the show debuts this coming weekend.

My bet is on the bubble card as I think that Lego will want to distance this
from their bricks to emphasize that it is a new direction for them.

Truly I think this is the beginning of a new era for Lego, for good or ill.
The first time they are master licenser for a product.

No doubt; I truly wish them luck.

They are going to need it; the action figure market is littered with
failures.  Action figures are an extremely competitive and fad-driven
market, moreso than building toys (though less and less different lately, as
can be seen scanning today's Lego shelves....)

If Galidor, the TV show, doesn't take off, then the toy line is a total wash
and retailers will clearance it by winter and not buy any more for 2002
(except at steep discount to take it off Lego's hands).

Even if it's a smash, the chances of it having more than a year of life is
slim.  I hope Lego has factored the shorter shelf-life of action figures
into their plans/expectations.  The whole thing is a huge risk; with
expensive development costs, from the looks of it.

(BTW, I'm a huge action figure fan.  I think they look pretty cool for what
they are, I just think the chance of success is very small.)

Kevin