 Year / 2001 / 537
Re: Battlestar Galactica on Mars?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.year.2001, lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Fri, 5 Jan 2001 12:33:54 GMT

Mr L F Braun wrote:

   That said, I think it's very icky to have aliens named after stars,
   especially the Terran names for those stars.  I would much have
   preferred names like "Chuck" to names like "Antares." (Mega Bloks
   Planetoids, anyone?  Not that "Zzyax" was much better in terms of
   being stereotypical alienese.)  I always felt that "Alien Nation"
   did an excellent job with the problem of alien names, accounting
   believeably for tweakish human nature.

   Just my two pfennig,

   Lindsay

Actually, there are some other ways to name individuals from other
planets. If I remember correctly, in one of the Stainless Steel Rat
novels, our hero was sent to a planet called "Burada" (means "here" in
Turkish). All the names here (such as the female army captain "Adet"
-means "tradition" or "habit" in Turkish) are in Turkish. According to a
note from the translator of the book, the author just opened a Turkish
dictionary, and chosen random words from it for names of places and
people of Burada..:-)

Additionally, I clearly remember some (old)Turkish names from the Wing
Commander game (first edition) that used as names of Kilrathi people.
And remember Admiral Afyon from SW novels? It is name of a city in
Turkey.

Using words from a language too-unfamiliar-to-English-speakers could be
a common source for making up alien names. I'm sure there should be
other examples taken from other "alien" languages around the world.

Selçuk