 Year / 2001 / 404
Re: Battlestar Galactica on Mars?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.year.2001, lugnet.space
Date:
Tue, 12 Dec 2000 11:05:42 GMT

   Hm, where's John Ladasky when we need him?  :)

In lugnet.year.2001, James Brown writes:
In lugnet.announce, Jon Furman writes:
Has anyone else noticed the distinct name sharing going on between life on
Mars and battlestar galactica, the most horrilbe, yet strangely
entertaining, space saga known to man?
The air tube hangar comes with minifigs  named Riegel, and Cassiopeia.
While the excavation searcher has a character named Vega.  I
hope that Starbuck, apollo and Adama are not next!

Nah, They're drawing from two different sources.  Life on Mars is naming
characters after stars & constellations; BG used names from classic Greek &
Roman mythology(1).  There's just a lot of cross-over, that's all.

1:When not naming them weird things, like Starbuck or Boomer or Boxy.

   Where do you think the stars got their names?  :)  Well, most
   of them, anyways; Rigel (not "Riegel" or whatever they transliter-
   ated) is, I think, Arabic in origin as many stellar names are.
   There's a lot of overlap.  I do, however, think it's cute that
   you get Castor and Pollux together in a set.  ;)  [2]

   BG also used names and ideas from Judaeo-Christian theology;
   that whole "13th Tribe" and "12 Colonies" thing was Hebrew.  And,
   of course, Lorne Greene couldn't be "Adama"--the Universal Father--
   without it!  And...there was a lot of Ancient Egypt in the imagery.
   I think the idea was that they'd take everything from the Ancient
   World, toss it in a cauldron, and borrow liberally to give the whole
   some feeling of historical veracity.  However, that still doesn't
   explain where the Cylons fit in...

   That said, I think it's very icky to have aliens named after stars,
   especially the Terran names for those stars.  I would much have
   preferred names like "Chuck" to names like "Antares." (Mega Bloks
   Planetoids, anyone?  Not that "Zzyax" was much better in terms of
   being stereotypical alienese.)  I always felt that "Alien Nation"
   did an excellent job with the problem of alien names, accounting
   believeably for tweakish human nature.

   Just my two pfennig,

   Lindsay

   [2] Castor and Pollux being "the twins", IIRC a naked-eye double
       star.