 Year / 2001 / 281
  Re: LEGO.COM/mars now running!

(...) I disagree. The best sci-fi/fantasy takes a few premises different from what we know, but keeps the rest as accurate, self-consistent, etc., as possible. While I know Lego's not exactly aspiring for that level of writing, it wouldn't kill them (...) (24 years ago, 24-Nov-00, to lugnet.year.2001, lugnet.space)

  Re: LEGO.COM/mars now running!

(...) I have to agree with you, Matthew. Good science fiction (and even good fantasy, for that matter) may change a few premises, but it's internally consistent. Unless we're assuming aether, there isn't anything to make stars twinkle... Nothing (...) (24 years ago, 24-Nov-00, to lugnet.year.2001, lugnet.space)

  Re: LEGO.COM/mars now running!

Matthew Miller wrote in message ... (...) what (...) possible. True, but normally sci-fi (as opposed to fantasy) takes its different premises from things where we are not sure yet, not things we already know are untrue (e.g. blue aliens on Mars). (...) (24 years ago, 24-Nov-00, to lugnet.year.2001, lugnet.space)

  Re: LEGO.COM/mars now running!

(...) Actually, until we send humans to mars we won't know what life is ther or was there in the past. It is entirely possible that humanoid life forms are living in small colonies on/under the suface of mars. After all, if we could do it, why (...) (24 years ago, 24-Nov-00, to lugnet.year.2001, lugnet.space)

  Re: LEGO.COM/mars now running!

(...) I essentially agree with all the technical criticisms made of this story but I want to play Devil's advocate for a second. This story is written in the form of a letter from a presumably average person, not a rocket scientist or trained (...) (24 years ago, 25-Nov-00, to lugnet.year.2001, lugnet.space)