 Trains / Train Organizations / 1702
Re: GMLTC layout 'show' pictures
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains.org
Date:
Fri, 19 Oct 2001 20:48:52 GMT

In lugnet.trains, John Gerlach writes:
For this show we
built two plywood boxes to give us room to loop the two mainlines back on
each other, creating a 'dogbone' layout.

Could you elaborate what you mean by "plywood boxes" in this context? When
first I saw the pics I had assumed you were looping the track around behind
the curtain on banquet tables or something. Are you saying you had hidden
dogbone ends, or something different? Thanks!

Nothing that complicated - we used our regular tables (40"x60"), Conan threw
together some simple plywood boxes to get up to track height on each end of the
layout. (16+ bricks on the low end, 24+ bricks on the high end.)  We put a
simple loop of track on top of each box, that allowed us to loop the train back
onto the other mainline track.  We certainly didn't "hide" them, they were right
out there for everyone to see!  We would simply explain to people that we had
four "completed" sections, and we planned on eventually having 16 completed
sections.

In this picture http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=76705 you can
see the low-end box on the far right of the picture.  The high-end box is
somewhat disguised by the 'www.gmltc.org' banner on the front side.

As we *slowly* work towards a complete rectangular layout, we'll work on one
side at a time.  Once we get three completed sides, we'll probably use the
plywood boxes to 'dummy' out the fourth side, perhaps with a couple of bridges
to fill in the gaps.  That will allow us to run two complete trains around the
layout, instead of just one.  Conan wants to run two trains on *each* mainline,
with a bunch o' RCXs working to keep them separated on opposite sides of the
layout.  CTC, anyone?  <grin>

JohnG, GMLTC