 Trains / Train Organizations / 1668
Re: Dual Memberships (was "Spyshot!")
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains.org
Date:
Sat, 29 Sep 2001 16:52:53 GMT

In lugnet.trains.org, Josh Baakko writes:
To me i can't see as why you wouldn't be able to be a member, its a fairly
simple idea he's got there, modules can be built almost anywere, as long as
they show up, right!?
Josh

The original question was whether he (J-2) being a member of the GMLTC *and*
the TCLTC was causing problems.  The GMLTC is unique in that almost
everything is built from bricks that belong to two people - Conan and his
uncle Chuck.  We meet at Conan's house, we build at Conan's house, Conan
owns the trailer that we use to transport the layout to shows.  The only way
to contribute to the GMLTC layout is to build it, or build something that
will go on it - a building designed to fit in a specific size area, for
example.  If you don't show up at the weekly GMLTC building sessions, you're
just not contributing much.

(FYI:  Conan pronounces his name "CAH-nen", not "Co-NAN"...)

The TCLTC layout will be be a cooperative layout, where everyone brings
modules they have built from their own bricks.  As long as everyone is
building to the same specifications, everything should line up when they
bring them to their first show.  People don't need to get together to work
on the layout, they can do all their building at home.

John Neal built several buildings with the intention of putting them onto
the GMLTC layout.  Unfortunately none of them were designed with our
'standard' building size constraints, so we have no use for them.  If he is
spending all his time working on his buildings for his modules for the
TCLTC, then he's not contributing to the GMLTC layout.

Building a GMLTC style modular train layout is a LOT of work.  I worked on
it yesterday for 6+ hours, and if you looked at it you might not think I got
anything done.  By the time we have our first four sections done for their
debut in two weeks, we'll have over 1000 hours of work into them...
Hopefully people enjoy what we've done!

I'll be posting a few more 'in progress' pictures tomorrow, too.

JohnG, GMLTC