 Trains / Train Organizations / 1491
Re: New cars at lego shop at home
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains.org
Date:
Fri, 6 Jul 2001 03:46:28 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.fun, Larry Pieniazek writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.fun, James Brown writes:

Seriously though(1), it *is* the train clubs that are far and away leading
the crowd in public displays, which is (as I said) because they've been able
to tap into an existing support structure.  That does make it easier.

Feel free to elaborate on that, because I'm not sure I agree. LTCs don't get
a lot of support from TMRCs (Traditional Model Railroad Clubs)(1), although
they do leverage the fact that shows are already being put on in order to
have a venue to show.

Hmm.  I wasn't meaning to say that LTCs get support from TMRCs, although I
see how it could be read that way.  What I was meant is basically what you
just said: you've taken advantage of the existance of train shows to pump
the visibility of Lego trains, both here and in the public eye.  Which, in
case I haven't been clear, is a Good Thing.

Theoretically, space heads and castle heads could leverage off cons (as has
already been done) and SCA events, etc., right?

Yes to the cons, and I really hope more groups take Michlug's lead there.
Ditto for RTLToronto and their robotics thingies.(1)

And Lego at an SCA event won't happen; plastic isn't period. (Although
castle can leverage cons as easily as space.)

Problem is (and I'm going to have to GD&R again) space and castle are, for
the mundanes, kind of boring. Nothing much is going on. You can't top the
visual appeal of an operating train

To a trainhead probably, and to mundanes, possibly.  But cons and similar
thingies are already catering to a subculture, and genre will have a heavier
impact than movement.

Enh.  I'm not sure if this is going anywhere; it has drifted from my
original point that trainheads (or LTDs if you prefer) aren't the only
people doing big layouts, they're just very visible because they have an
easy (and public) venue.

James