 Trains / 9372
Re: Tapping into the Track's electricity
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Thu, 25 Jan 2001 12:45:14 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Jeff Christner writes:
On Thu, 25 Jan 2001 03:20:17 GMT, "Ross Crawford" <rcrawford@csi.com>
wrote:

In lugnet.trains, Dean Husby writes:

Yes, that would work, I've used that several times like in my Road Crossing. • But
two LED's gets bulky.

But it has another advantage - if you use one red & one clear (white) at each
end, you can have automatic head / tail lights on your engine.

ROSCO

What kind of engine's have tail lights?

I'm aware of some light rail/passenger type trains with white and red
lights on both ends, to run either way, but I haven't seen different
colored lights on engines other then marker lights which aren't really
in much use anymore. Most engines (in the US anyway) just have
headlights and ditch lights on each end along with small lights to
light up the steps, walkways, and number boards when needed.

Jeff Christner

I was under the impression that white light(s) at the front of a train and
red light(s) at the rear were a legal requirement, at least in the UK if not
the rest of the world.  In fact, I've been on one isolated private restored
line that just carries one carriage of passengers along an old mining track
on privately owned land, and they're legally obliged to swap the lights from
one end to the other for the return trip.

Jason.