 Trains / 9320
Re: ballast
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 23 Jan 2001 17:24:33 GMT

When I first read this, before seeing the pic, I thought you "sprinkled" the
1x1's between and around the ties like little rocks (real ballast). That
would look cool! And I can't imagian how much that would cost! BTW I recall
older catalogs with ballast but I think they used raw ABS pellets. I wonder
if we can get Brad to sell us 3 variations of gray colored ABS pellets by
the pound! Messy but very cool at a train show. I guess we could vacuum it
up into a clean vac bag. Add dirt devil on the tool list for the next show ;D
SteveB
PNLTC

In lugnet.trains, Christopher Tracey writes:
A few weeks ago I had this idea for a solution to a problem that had been bothering me for a while.  Whenever I see a green baseplate between the ties
of the train track, it looks really wierd to me.  I seen the GMLTC pics where they use a combination of various plates to acheive a ballast effect.  I
thought this was good but I never had enough spare plates to accomplish something like that.

Then I thought about the mosiac kit. My kit arrived last week.

The track is raised up one plate height mainly using dirty, miscolored and broken plates.  1x1 plates in light and medium gray are randomly arranged
around and between the track.  I didn't use the dark gray pieces because they match the track.  Two 90-piece bags will cover about 2.2 track sections.

-chris

ps. sorry for the blurry pics, no enough light in the basement.