 Trains / 9312
Re: ballast
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 23 Jan 2001 13:59:30 GMT

Reinhard \"Ben\" Beneke wrote:

In lugnet.trains, Christopher Tracey writes:

Then I thought about the mosiac kit. My kit arrived last week.

René has done something similar at our FGLTC event: he used black bricks for
ballast and brown bricks for sleepers. Best of this was the sound effect: when
the 100++waggons train passed this section of track it gave a increased sound.
I was great to listen to this...

But I fear the idea might be good, but too expensive for a track layout with
dozens (or even hundreds) of meters.

Yes, that is an issue.  It might be a useful technique for isolated sections of layouts that are especially detailed for an added level of realism.
Mileage from the mosiac kits could be increased by using a gray 2x4 plate as the ballast between the rails and ties, therefore using the 1x1 plates
along the edges.
-chris