 Trains / 9321
Re: LEGO element fonts
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 23 Jan 2001 17:33:20 GMT

That's so cool! I think I'll do that as well for the 3x3. As for the hanging
in mid air, I have my lettering raise (pushed out) by 1 stud. The slopes are
1 stud deep and are placed in front of the backgroud "wall". The rectangular
bricks 2 are studs deep and firmly built into the wall. Thus the slopes can
be somewhat easily "knocked" off because they're attached only by 1 stud.
SteveB
PNLTC

In lugnet.trains, Eric Kingsley writes:
In lugnet.trains, Steven Barile writes:
Slightly off topic I was thinking about LEGO fonts since building these
stores. It seems that a 3x3 grid including slopes seems to work reasonably.
The addition of plates and there is a lot od flexability. Any ideas on the
topic?

Well at one point I quickly through together an Alphabet out of LEGO.  All are
5 high and average about 5 wide.  I agree that some characters look good at
smaller sizes.  Some letters like "S" really need to be 5 high for clarity if
you are only using bricks.  It is definitely a challange with some letters like
"M" and "W".  One of the hardest things is the width, hieght is much more
easily adjusted using plates but width is much less flexible unless you go with
a SNOT design and then the problem is reversed.

Any way here is my "LEGObet" for referance.

http://www.nelug.org/members/kingsley/legobet/

Eric Kingsley

The New England LEGO Users Group
http://www.nelug.org/