 Trains / 9059
Re: my moc: VIA F40PH
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Thu, 4 Jan 2001 17:26:37 GMT

Will Hess wrote:

The problem with the grilles on this engine is that they follow up the
slopes thus impossible to do in lego :(

Troublesome, yes.  Impossible...no.  Christopher Masi (I think it was he) did
sloping grilles on one of his diesels.  It uses two 1x2 inverse slopes, two
grille tiles, a 1x2 to 1x4 bracket and a hinge (or hinges).  Perhaps he could
provide a URL.

Will

Lego Beach Fire and Rescue: www.crosswinds.net/~hokie
Bricksburg Depot: http://www.brickbay.com/store.asp?p=willhess

I did add sloped grille tiles to my diesel, but, since I cannot tell where the
sloped grille tiles on the F40PH would go, I am not certain how my design would
be helpful here. None the less, here are the two different ways I created an
inverted sloping grille.

In the 6-wide version
http://cmasi.chem.tulane.edu/~lego/trains/Engine%20gallery/EMD_SD40_2/emd_sd40-2.htm

the tiles were not securely attached
http://cmasi.chem.tulane.edu/~lego/trains/Engine%20gallery/EMD_SD40_2/radiator_bubble.htm

In the 8-wide version
http://cmasi.chem.tulane.edu/~lego/NOLTC/engines/emd_sd40-2/emd_sd40-2.htm

this is probably the best view to see the slope of the tiles
http://cmasi.chem.tulane.edu/~lego/NOLTC/engines/emd_sd40-2/emd_sd40-2_low_fs.htm

the tiles are securely attached
http://cmasi.chem.tulane.edu/~lego/NOLTC/engines/emd_sd40-2/radiator_bubble.htm

When I read statements like "it can't be done in LEGO" I always wonder who will
be the first one to take the challenge and do it.

Chris
--
PGP public key available upon request.