 Trains / 8973
  The Royal Train Website

Happy New Year! I've finally completed a new website showcasing my Lego train layout in the NW suburbs of Chicago (ocassionally refered to as GMLTC south). You can check it out at "www.royal-train.com". There was a lot of interest when I managed to (...) (24 years ago, 1-Jan-01, to lugnet.trains) !!

  Re: The Royal Train Website

(...) Brian, this is the most incredible thing I've ever seen! I can't imagine the amount of work that must have gone into hand-painting all those pieces and setting up and photographing the displays. It's totally beautiful. My jaw dropped on almost (...) (24 years ago, 1-Jan-01, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.build, lugnet.publish.photography)

  Re: The Royal Train Website

I have to agree with Todd, I was totally blown away when I saw those pictures! I actually had to wait till I was more awake and look at them again before I would believe what I saw. Just the layout display case alone is fantastic, but the art work (...) (24 years ago, 1-Jan-01, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.build, lugnet.publish.photography)

  Re: The Royal Train Website

(...) The usual accolades and then some... I hope you enter Kathyrn in the Train competition, it will be amusing to see the disclaimer on your entry: "No 4561 pieces were used in the making of this entry"... Also the usual calls for more detail, (...) (24 years ago, 1-Jan-01, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.build, lugnet.publish.photography)

  The Royal Train - Controls

James, Thanks! This may take a while but I'll get some close-ups of the controls and mechanisms the next time I do a shoot. Everything is 9v with 4.5 wiring (boy did I get a deal when Dacta cleared-out 4.5v stuff) Turnouts are controlled by (...) (24 years ago, 1-Jan-01, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.build, lugnet.publish.photography)

  Re: The Royal Train Website

(...) A while ago, didn't Brian say that the details are stickers? I seem to remember him talking about buying stickers and cutting them with an exacto knife. I found the article (I searched my lugnet.trains archive), so I'll add it below. Chris The (...) (24 years ago, 1-Jan-01, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.build, lugnet.publish.photography)

  Re: The Royal Train Website

Chris, Thanks for pulling this old message. To clarify my ground rules... 1. No painting. A lot of the value in a Lego element is compromised if it can't be reused as originally intended. Custom stickers and tape, however, are fair game as they can (...) (24 years ago, 1-Jan-01, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.build, lugnet.publish.photography)

  Re: The Royal Train Website

(...) I'm definitely starting to weaken on this one... good stickers add a lot. I'n not sure I'd go as far as to change the colors of elements, but for signage and detail they can't be beat. (...) I'm still holding out on these two though. It's (...) (24 years ago, 1-Jan-01, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.build, lugnet.publish.photography)

  Re: The Royal Train Website

(...) So, all the work on (URL) (for instance) is stickers? You're good! How do you do that? Like everyone else has said already, your stuff is incredible. Thanks for sharing. Chris (24 years ago, 1-Jan-01, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.build, lugnet.publish.photography)

  Re: The Royal Train Website

(...) I know first-hand that Brian does NOT paint the bricks. The colors are from various kinds of adhesive tapes, and they could all be removed without harming the bricks (if for some reason he decided he needed to do that...) I've seen a few of (...) (24 years ago, 1-Jan-01, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.build, lugnet.publish.photography)

  Re: The Royal Train Website

Just to echo all of the other replies -- incredible and awesome and definately cool. (24 years ago, 1-Jan-01, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.build, lugnet.publish.photography)

  Re: The Royal Train Website

* Brian Williams (brian_williams@ameritech.net) [010101 11:54]: (...) Would you do me the favor and explain how you did the coloring of the engine? I have never seen that color. I would *love* to see some tutorials for how you have done stuff. Or (...) (24 years ago, 2-Jan-01, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.build, lugnet.publish.photography)

  Re: The Royal Train Website

Chris, The dark green on the "Kathryn" locomotive is nothing more than carefully trimmed contact paper used to line kitchen drawers. Because she was decorated five years ago, the gold pinstriping and lettering was cut and applied by hand under (...) (24 years ago, 2-Jan-01, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.build, lugnet.publish.photography)

  Re: The Royal Train Website

(...) Good Heavens! That's like those guys who sculpt animals out of grains of rice! Unless you're three inches tall, that's an astonishingly small medium to choose. Bravo! Dave! (24 years ago, 2-Jan-01, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.build, lugnet.publish.photography)

  Re: The Royal Train Website

Dave Schuler <orrex@excite.com> wrote in message news:G6Jw1x.Gns@lugnet.com... (...) Eehhh! that hurts to think about thinking about attempting! Anyways...scratch building Z is pretty impressive, Brian. I couldn't scratchbuild an HO much less (...) (24 years ago, 2-Jan-01, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.build, lugnet.publish.photography)

  Re: The Royal Train Website

Fantastic creations set in a beautiful layout. In the town scene what part was used for the roof of the red car in the bottom left hand corner? Any chance of having gallery pictures of your vehicles? Allan J Smith Brian Williams wrote in message ... (...) (24 years ago, 2-Jan-01, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.build)

  Re: The Royal Train Website

Allan, Regarding the red car roof... as with most unrecognizable parts, the answer is Fabuland. They came in red, yellow, and possibly blue. I would be willing to give a few mini-figs' eye teeth for TLG to do a run of these again... especially in (...) (24 years ago, 3-Jan-01, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.build)

  Re: The Royal Train Website

(...) Keep your fingers crossed that Mickey does well and maybe?? Many other Fabuland parts are back thanks to that mouse. Since my daughter has discovered her love for Fabuland that's a good thing! ++Lar (24 years ago, 3-Jan-01, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.build)

  Re: The Royal Train Website

(...) Yes, blue too. 3635, Bonnie Bunny's Camper. (URL) Bonsma's Unofficial Fabuland Homepage has an inventory of Fabuland elements showing a picture of most and listing the various sets in which each can be found and the color and #of copies. (URL) (...) (24 years ago, 3-Jan-01, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.build)

  Re: The Royal Train Website

(...) Brian, Can you shed any light (no pun intended) on the process you used to generate your INCREDIBLY photo-realistic images? I've read most of the posts and your website, and it appears to comprise PhotoShop, stickers, detailed design, (...) (24 years ago, 13-Mar-01, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.build, lugnet.publish.photography)

  Re: The Royal Train Website

Stephen, Thanks again for the compliments. I don't look at Lego models as an end unto themselves, but rather as props for building scenes. Many of the buildings are false fronts or partial builds. Here's a photograph of the Downtown Winterthur scene (...) (24 years ago, 16-Mar-01, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.build, lugnet.publish.photography)

  Re: The Royal Train Website

(...) Brian I'm impressed, Echoing all the other comments, I would also add that this is the first example I have seen of a LEGO railway that looks like a proper model railway (and to cap it all, it's not huge either!). I particularly like the (...) (24 years ago, 16-Mar-01, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.build, lugnet.publish.photography)

  Re: The Royal Train Website

Jon, I really need to add a "technical focus" section to the website. Yes, two loks can be run simultaneously although I havn't done this yet (with Lego that is. In Z scale it is routine). The overhead caternary does work but I don't advertise it (...) (24 years ago, 17-Mar-01, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.build, lugnet.publish.photography)

  Re: The Royal Train Website

I'm in over my neck in stuff this week and if there is anyone who would like to write the text/review/description for CLSotW for the Royal Train website, I could really use the help. I've been through the whole RT site and am reasonably familiar (...) (24 years ago, 24-Mar-01, to lugnet.trains)