 Trains / 8982
8981  |  8983
Subject:
The Royal Train - Controls
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.build, lugnet.publish.photography
Date:
Mon, 1 Jan 2001 17:37:19 GMT

James,

Thanks!  This may take a while but I'll get some close-ups of the controls
and mechanisms the next time I do a shoot.  Everything is 9v with 4.5 wiring
(boy did I get a deal when Dacta cleared-out 4.5v stuff)  Turnouts are
controlled by momentary contact switches wired to older 9v motors used as
solenoids.  The trick is to file a small nub inside the points which allows
them to move freely (yes I ocassionally cut if it is a common part and worth
it).  Lights are controlled through "stops" made from 4.5v contact switches.
These get their name because their protruding technic control rods very much
resemble the stops on an organ.  The turntable and decouplers all have
manual controls.  This is more engaging from an operational viewpoint... and
consistent with a key goal of the exhibit to promote interaction, not
automation.  Then again, there are two mindstorms connected via fibre-optic
cable which run the trains when the exhibit is unattended.  Talk about irony.

- BMW

In lugnet.trains, James Trobaugh writes:
I have to agree with Todd, I was totally blown away when I saw those
pictures! I actually had to wait till I was more awake and look at them
again before I would believe what I saw. Just the layout display case alone
is fantastic, but the art work on the layout itself is just mind blowing.

I would really like to see some pictures of the details on the layout and
some more details on the controls you are using for the display.

Absolutely amazing Brian, great job!!

jt
--
James J. Trobaugh
North Georgia LEGO Train Club
Todd Lehman <lehman@javanet.com> wrote in message
In lugnet.trains, Brian Williams writes:
Happy New Year!
I've finally completed a new website showcasing my Lego train layout in • the
NW suburbs of Chicago (ocassionally refered to as GMLTC south).  You can
check it out at "www.royal-train.com".  There was a lot of interest when • I
managed to post a few of the pictures several months ago so email me if • I
can answer any questions.  I'll be adding to it over the next few weeks • so
check back periodically too.  Have fun!

Brian, this is the most incredible thing I've ever seen!  I can't imagine • the
amount of work that must have gone into hand-painting all those pieces and
setting up and photographing the displays.  It's totally beautiful.  My • jaw
dropped on almost every photo.  I love the banjo guys and the "Kathryn" • loco
the most!

An obligatory "shame on you," of course, for painting LEGO pieces, but --
dang -- it sure looks professional!

--Todd