 Trains / 8907
Re: Santa Fe locomotive - work in progress
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Fri, 29 Dec 2000 16:17:08 GMT

"Larry Pieniazek" <lpieniazek@mercator.com> wrote in message
In lugnet.trains, Mike Walsh writes:
Tonight I started work on a Santa Fe locomotive based on a picture in an • LGB
catalog.  Although I can't find a picture of the exact train on the web
anywhere, the picture in the LGB catalog is fairly close to this one:

HTTP://ARCHIVE.TRAINPIX.COM/ATSF/EMDORIG/GP60M/100.HTM (yes an all caps • URL)

My efforts this evening yielded this:

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=2489 (warning - pictures • are
large, I used the wrong resolution)

It isn't complete, the bottom (trucks and front end in particular) need • some
more work.

Nice work, Mike. I like the way you've done the warbonnet striping. The • real
thing uses yellow and black striping to separate the silver and red but I
think if you're going to use just one color (which is a good choice) • yellow
is the one to pick.

While I originally wanted to add the black stripe as well, I came to the
conclusion that doing so would be quite a challenge.  There would be too
many gaps in both the black and yellow stripes if I tried to do both.  So I
decided to leave the black out as the yellow is much more prominent
visually.

My standard criticism applies... it's way way way too short. Dump that • wagon
plate and build a real subframe from individual pieces. That lets you make
the belly tank a proper length.

I agree and will probably do so.  My inital thoughts were to add another six
studs to it which allows me to insert another train wagon gate
(http://img.lugnet.com/ld/6583.gif) easily.  One thing I realized last night
is that I don't have nearly as many red plates as I thought I did.  Out of
an entire tub (3033 style) of  larger plates (exluding black and grey which
are in their own tub) I found exactly one 6x6 red plate and two 4x6 red
plates.  I have all kinds of wing and odd ball plates (like this one
http://img.lugnet.com/ld/2401.gif and this one
http://img.lugnet.com/ld/6003.gif) in red but very few 4xN and 6xN
rectangular plates.

Regarding the belly tanks, I only have three of the grey piece
(http://img.lugnet.com/ld/6081.gif) so I will have to either find more (not
a trivial task) or switch to the 1x2 piece
(http://img.lugnet.com/ld/6091.gif) which I think I have a bunch of in grey.

I hope to build at least two engines so anything I do I will need to have at
least 2x the parts.

The proto pic you posted is of a full width cab unit and yours is a
conventional road switcher nose, but SF did warbonnet paint on both kinds.

I need to find a better picture than the one I posted.  The picture from the
LGB book I modeled from is closer to what I did than the picture I posted.
I could take a picture of the LGB book but that seems like a copyright issue
to me.

Now busy it up with hatches and small details and stuff.

I am open to suggestions.

Mike - mike_walsh@mindspring.com