 Trains / 8903
Re: Santa Fe locomotive - work in progress
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Fri, 29 Dec 2000 15:46:33 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Mike Walsh writes:
Tonight I started work on a Santa Fe locomotive based on a picture in an LGB
catalog.  Although I can't find a picture of the exact train on the web
anywhere, the picture in the LGB catalog is fairly close to this one:

HTTP://ARCHIVE.TRAINPIX.COM/ATSF/EMDORIG/GP60M/100.HTM (yes an all caps URL)

My efforts this evening yielded this:

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=2489 (warning - pictures are
large, I used the wrong resolution)

It isn't complete, the bottom (trucks and front end in particular) need some
more work.

Nice work, Mike. I like the way you've done the warbonnet striping. The real
thing uses yellow and black striping to separate the silver and red but I
think if you're going to use just one color (which is a good choice) yellow
is the one to pick.

My standard criticism applies... it's way way way too short. Dump that wagon
plate and build a real subframe from individual pieces. That lets you make
the belly tank a proper length.

The proto pic you posted is of a full width cab unit and yours is a
conventional road switcher nose, but SF did warbonnet paint on both kinds.

Now busy it up with hatches and small details and stuff.