 Trains / 8797
Re: Why don't Lego trains sell (was Re: Walmart revisited)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Sat, 16 Dec 2000 17:37:24 GMT

Brad Hamilton wrote:

Model trains, in general, seem to be in decline, at least in the US.  Of
course, there is a group of hard-core enthusiasts that really love them, but
the general populous seems more interested in other toys.

My father always comments that model Trains were super-popular back in the
40's and 50's. However, real trains were also quite prevalent at this time.
As planes and trucks replaced trains, the interest in model trains also
dwindled.  Apparently, a particularly big drop in model train sales came
after Sputnik. After this, everyone wanted space toys.

Never underestimate the power of nostalgia and the cyclical nature of life...

http://www.usatoday.com/life/llead.htm

-John