 Trains / 8224
Re: Carolina Train Builders - Custom Train Models For Sale
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 14 Nov 2000 21:36:24 GMT

Larry Pieniazek wrote:

Um... :-)

Mike and I have been conferring behind the scenes since the idea of his
doing kits first arose. My very first comment on his designs was: "gee,
those certainly are *european*, aren't they..." (followed closely by "but
they're nice!!" )

If you don't see them as European, maybe us 'murricans don't know *how* to
make eurotrash... :-)

OK model by model of why it's not "European" ;-)

CTB-1101 Lumber Transport : Wood transported by rail is never put on a
totally flat car, but on a car with low sides, like in the LEGO 4543 set.
And the load would be chained to the car (good way to get rid of all those
Castle & Adventurers chains ??) Also, today most cars are longer. See
http://www.nl.3dgamers.com/trains/vsm_tnt1999.html , the topright pic. I've
seen such cars carry wood and large metal constructions lots of times.

CTB-1103 Coal transport : In the Netherlands, coal is mostly transported in
open cars, usually the EANOS * or EAOS type. If it would have been a closed
car (Germany uses FALS type cars a lot), the bottom would be sloped
inwards, much like LEGO's 4536 car or it would have to be a longer
bogie-car. And most cargo cars in the Netherlands and Germany are currently
being painted red, even most coal cars ;-)

CTB-1106 Gondola : This looks almost like a dutch EANOS or EAOS, except for
missing unloading doors on the sides (and front for some types). Even the
color matches exactly ;-) (Before dutch railways Cargo division picked red
as it's primary color for rolling stock, EAOS and EANOS were painted
light-blue)

On cabooses : the Dutch railways had a car with a similair function up to
the 1960's , see http://www.treinen.myweb.nl/fotost/2459_16.jpg
It's the brown car directly behind the diesel unit. The 2nd car is a
standard model closed car, which was used a lot for packages. Car 3 is an
old-style coal car, with doors on both sides and the front. Some places had
a piece of track that could be tilted, and cars were simply clamped to the
track and the entire car+piece of track tilted to unload the car. Must scan
a picture of that, you won't believe your eyes :-) Too bad those big red
sliding doors are so expensive :-(

However don't get me wrong. I like the models a lot, and this sure isn't
meant as a rant or anything. Mike is doing a great job and I particularly
like the Gondola a lot. Maybe it's just because I am also a h0 model
railroader that I look a bit different upon these things, since we're
spoiled with all those finely detailed models ;-)

* Letter codes are used in Europe to indicate car type. First letter gives
main type, rest is to indicate subtype. First letter E = open car, G =
closed car, F = self-emptying , K = flatbed , H = large volume closed car.
Not sure if the US has the same system though. This system is standardized
by the UIC, European Railway Comitee (I think it stands for Union
International Chemin de fer)
--
Jan-Albert "Anvil" van Ree   | http://www.nl.3dgamers.com
3D Sims Archive maintainer   | http://www.3dgamers.com