 Trains / 8037
Re: Is it poosible that convert 4.5v/12v to 9v?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 31 Oct 2000 13:05:27 GMT

"Zhengrong Zang" <mikezang@iname.com> wrote in message
I know at the moment, 9v is the standard and RCA and new products will
use 9v, too.
I found some of 4.5v/12v sets or parts are very cheaper, I want to know
if it is possible to use most of 4.5v/12v sets or parts in 9v system
except electric system?

my 7722 is 'converted' to 9v, simply by putting a 9v motor in place of the
4.5v motor.

You must think about the motor and the train set as separate items
Any motor (4.5v, 9v, or 12v) will go in any train.
After all, it is Lego - you are meant to build things!
The size of the motor units is pretty similar, so they are easy to swop
around

However, the 12v motor has 3 axles, but the 4.5 and 9v have only 2.
So some 12v trains will not look the same if you install a 9v motor because
the wheels will be different.

BUT, a simple way round this is to put the 9v motor somewhere else in the
train, not in the engine
Then use 3 sets of normal wheels (non-motorised) on the engine in place of
the 12v motor.

Hope this helps