 Trains / 8024
  Re: Acela ver2: Magnetic nose coupler

Okay, I've had it-- James, your designs are so cool and innovative that it kills me to see you building 6 wide instead of 8!! All I can think about is what you would be able to do with the added freedom of building 8 wide. Won't you please try (...) (24 years ago, 30-Oct-00, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Acela ver2: Magnetic nose coupler

(...) I remember "Try it, you'll like it!" Funny :-) There are reasons, however silly or irrelevant they may be, that I build six wide. Here are some that I can think of (not necessarily in any order of importance nor significance): 1. LEGO releases (...) (24 years ago, 30-Oct-00, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Acela ver2: Magnetic nose coupler

James- All of your reasons are perfectly valid and, frankly, I wouldn't expect to convince you to build in any particular form. I just thought it would be cool if you took on an 8 wide project for the new experience of it. Actually, it's not all (...) (24 years ago, 31-Oct-00, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Acela ver2: Magnetic nose coupler

(...) Leave him alone. Maybe he's a good enough builder that he doesn't need the crutch of a 30% larger pallete to get the details right. Maybe he's a poor college student who doesn't have 2x the number of bricks that you need to build the same (...) (24 years ago, 31-Oct-00, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Acela ver2: Magnetic nose coupler

(...) Trollman, that's exactly the myth, the myth (Yeth?;) I have been talking about. There really isn't any big difference between 8 wide and 6 wide except that when you look at a 6 wide from its ends, it looks too tall for its width and looks (...) (24 years ago, 31-Oct-00, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: GMLTC going 8 wide

(...) EXCUSE ME????? What sort of revisionist history rewrite is this???? John Neal whined for months for the GMLTC to go 8-wide instead of 6-wide. And after we couldn't take his whining anymore we broke down and voted 'yes'. And NOW he wants us to (...) (24 years ago, 31-Oct-00, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: GMLTC going 8 wide

(...) :-) (...) (I stuffed the ballot box;-) (...) For most cars. J-1 refers to my impressive but long passenger cars, but hey, I'm modeling an 80 foot long train car here! Even at 60 studs I am compressing, so I will continue to "whine";-) (...) (...) (24 years ago, 31-Oct-00, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Acela ver2: Magnetic nose coupler

Jumping in to add my voice to the 6 vs 8-wide thing. 8-wide has been fun. I think the biggest advantage is the extra interior room. Big cars look cool, but when you can open them up and have great interiors the coolness factor goes WAY up. The three (...) (24 years ago, 31-Oct-00, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Acela ver2: Magnetic nose coupler

In lugnet.trains, Christopher Masi writes: <snip 8-wide discussion> <Masi points out 8-wide good for interiors> I have really enjoyed seeing all the 8-wide creations. Agreed, the interior space available in an 8-wide creation is very cool. What I've (...) (24 years ago, 31-Oct-00, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Acela ver2: Magnetic nose coupler

Christopher Masi wrote: <snip> (...) Interesting you should say that, Chris, because when building 8 wides and larger, I have found it to be exactly the opposite case. When I have a large project in the works, I find it very time consuming to (...) (24 years ago, 1-Nov-00, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Acela ver2: Magnetic nose coupler

(...) All I meant was that I never have enough bricks to make two 6-wide models of the same thing, so I do not loose much by making one 8-wide creation. So, the brick count does not seem to be a big deal from my point of view. On the other hand, if (...) (24 years ago, 1-Nov-00, to lugnet.trains)