 Trains / 7987
Re: "fake metroliners"
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Fri, 27 Oct 2000 13:36:58 GMT

Joakim Olsson wrote:

"Paul Rutenberg" <paul_germany@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:G333Iv.1FM@lugnet.com...

a set without box and original instructions is not a set, it's a bad
copy. And not worth more than the pieces in it.
/Joakim

Hi Joakim
I have to disagree with you on this, a box and instructions don't make set
original, unless this set has no special pieces that really make it this • set,
like printed parts, stick-ons, special parts, take for example Fireship • 316,
rthe only set from lego with a 5x6x1/3 Plate with hole in it in Black, the • only
Lego set that has it, so if i have that piece and the original stickers, • but no
instructions or box, its not real??? not worth anything but its wieght in
pieces?? wrong, what you say is only good for sets that have no special • parts
and anybody can build out of his Lego box. A metroliner would also be real • with
just all the painted doors and stickers, if it is complette, even without • boy
or stickers.

I'm beginning to feel that all but a very few sets are always worth more
as parts then as a set.

Hello Paul.
What I really ment was that, I do not consider it the "Real-thing".
I also think that the pieces in the set makes it valuable (rareness, etc)
not the set itself. As it is not, in my eyes "Complete". For a set to be
"Complete" I need the box and instructions and all pieces.

And to be considered "Original" it has to be MISB, or every part of what i
consider to be "Complete", be originally from the same box...

Keep in mind, this is my personal definition. And there may be a conflict
between words, this is not my best language..

Ultimately, my interest is in the pieces. I do have just enough
collectors blood to be shooting for "Pirate Complete", but I'm willing
to be loose on that. For me, to count as having a set from that
perspective, I must either have all the unique pieces, or if the set has
none, I must have either instructions or box. I probably ultimately want
at least all the instructions (I don't think I'm actually missing any
Pirate instructions for sets I consider as having), and probably will
not consider myself absolutely done until I have all the boxes (I think
I only have one or two sets for which I don't have the box). I don't
care whether the sets I claim to have are assembled from parts which
were shipped in the same set box from TLC. The only way to "prove" that
is to have the sets in sealed boxes, and there is no way I am going to
tie up my capital in unopened sets (though I may actually keep a small
handful of unopened sets).

Of course, as you alude to, completeness is in the eye of the beholder.

What I would like to see from the perspective of people selling sets is
to be honest.

- tell me if there are any missing or substituted parts
- tell me if any parts are in less than good condition
- tell me if the instructions are present, and give me a feel for their
condition
- tell me if the box is present and give me a feel for its condition
- tell me if you have built the set to verify completeness
- tell me the condition of any stickers
- tell me about the cleanliness of the set (when I start selling, I'll
be indicating that in general used pieces have been washed and that my
home is smoke free)

--
Frank Filz

Home: mailto:ffilz@mindspring.com