 Trains / 7461
7460  |  7462
Subject:
Demise of the Trains theme? (was: Re: New Idea for Rail Ties)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains.org, lugnet.trains
Date:
Mon, 25 Sep 2000 01:12:43 GMT

James Powell wrote:

I'd like to see all of them too...but, my priority would be a larger curved
track first.  That's the set I'd LIKE lego to make, if not, I might start doing
some more investigation about how to go about making lego track again...I did
get some distance into it before, but moving here kind of killed my lines of
enquiry.

Okay, here is what I'd do if LEGO stopped the trains line.  James, since you are
already considering "impure" solutions, what would you say to simply adopting "O"
scale track and trucks?  As you know, I have been building 14 wide trains which
translates to "G" scale (1:29).  I use G scale track, trucks and couplers, and
think nothing of the impurity of it at all.  So I ask myself, "Is minifig scale
*so* different?"  Also, when considering impure solutions, I must remind myself of
the impurity of TLC itself with respect to the LL trains.  And I might add that,
if given the choice of adapting my 14 wides to the system used at say, LLC, or
utilizing G scale components, I'd choose the latter.

Of course, most of this begs the question of whether the trains theme will
continue.  If it gets the ax, I will adapt to O, and the GMLTC will prolly kick me
out of the group, so I'd have to join the Twin Cities Model Railroad Museum :
http://www.tcmrm.org/index.html  (If they'd have me:)

-John

Does anyone know if Lego holds the patent for the clip together system?  I
don't think they do, but would like confermation, before I start going into
depth investigation again.

James