 Trains / Train Organizations / 713
Re: New Idea for Rail Ties
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains.org, lugnet.trains
Date:
Mon, 25 Sep 2000 05:11:33 GMT

James Powell wrote:
1. Larger radius curve, about 2x current.

My first preference would be 16 studs larger radius (which could then be
set "parallel" to the smaller radius using the current turnout
geometry). If they give us the 4.5V/12V turnout geometry, then we also
want track with an 8 stud larger radius.

2. Different style of point geometry

1st preference - the same geometry as the 4.5V/12V turnout.

3. 1/8-1/2 straight box with 8 pieces (makes 2 full straights)

Not sure a 2 stud track piece would work well the way the track ends
work. Also, it would basically give you a 4 stud wide tie at the joint
(no other way to do it). This is not a problem with any piece which is a
multiple of 4 studs.

4. Y points

If we get a 3rd type of turnout, my choice would be a crossover track (2
turnouts) which accomplishes a 8 stud track separation. This would of
course have to come both left and right (or it could be a single piece
double crossover).

An interesting turnout strategy would be a turnout with a set of
optional pieces:

- piece to make it the same geometry as a 4.5V/12V turnout
- piece to make it the same geometry as the current 9V turnout (allowing
them to retire production of more than two complex turnout molds)
- piece to combine 2 turnouts into a crossover
- piece to combine 4 turnouts into a double crossover
- piece to make it into a "Snap Track" style turnout where the diverging
track exactly matches the curve radius

If we get a 2x radius track, we need a new turnout at the larger radius.

Another set of pieces I'd really like to see would be a set of roadbed
pieces which have tubes on the bottom in the normal rectangular pattern
so that they can be put onto baseplates. 8 parts are necessary:

- straight
- LH turnout
- RH turnout
- crossing
- LH curve 1st piece
- LH curve 2nd piece
- RH curve 1st piece
- RH curve 2nd piece

Of course if we get any new track geometries, this set is increased. It
would also be nice to have a set of pieces for circle track which just
fill the pattern of the ties (for use on bridges). If these pieces
existed, I'd be happy to live with all straight track needing to be at
90 degree angles.

Another neat track pieces would be a set to get proper alignment when
using two curve pieces to get a 45 degree angle. I'm not sure how many
track pieces are actually necessary here. Of course if we have the
roadbed pieces, we need new roadbed pieces.

Frank