 Trains / 7191
Re: Funicular conclusion
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Fri, 1 Sep 2000 22:07:56 GMT

Nice thread...
So here are some ideas.

Two parallel tracks on an incline. Between the tracks at the top of the
incline is a motor that has a chain draped around a gear on the motor’s shaft.
The chain is roughly the length of the track on the incline. Each end of the
chain is attached to one of the two cars (one on each of the parallel tracks).
A single polarity switch can be thrown by both cars at the top of the incline
to automate the system.  Also the track can be 9v or plastic, I like plastic
because the track ties can be adjusted to accommodate chain. And it doesn’t
need to be 6 studs wide either (narrow gauge).

Another thought
Instead of chain how about a couple bungee cords tied or Lego string. Instead
of draping it over a gear (see above) it can be wrapped several times around a
pulley. Or the pulley can be made up of a few elements such that the channel
is rubber (like a tire) which offers enough friction on the bungee or string
so they don’t slip.

Different thought
Have you ever attached the new geared motors together with a wire and spin
one. Well the other spins! It theoretically should, but it is still really
cool to see. Well if you choose a cog type mechanism with a wire attaching the
to cars’ motors you get a perpetual motion machine. OK I know there’s no such
thing but this is an interesting experiment if you can figure out how to
“pump” the system.

SteveB
PNLTC