 Trains / 7166
Re: Funicular conclusion
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Thu, 31 Aug 2000 16:27:09 GMT

Sonnich Jensen wrote:

<snip>

I personally tought of the last idea as the simpliest one to implement, as
power is external, and there is probably no problems with the construction.
The coqwheel is (as seen) also possible, but how does it run?

Well, if you're willing to use 9v track and a regular train motor, I'd
observe that there is a power connection on top of the train motor,
noramlly used for lights.  So even though the train motor is slipping,
it can provide auxiliary power to a second Lego motor which is driving
the cogwheel.  I don't know how disruptive the vibration of the slipping
train motor would be to the aesthetic and mechanical success of the
vehicle, though.

The extremely adventurous might be able to disable (reversibly,
right?!?!) the motor in the train motor housing, allowing it to function
simply as a weight and power pickup.

So, in summary:

Try using a Lego train motor, not for traction, but to supply power from
rails to a cogwheel motor in the same or an adjacent car.

Jeff