 Trains / 5629
Re: power transmission of fake 4460
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 18 Apr 2000 20:03:24 GMT

Scott A wrote:

"Larry Pieniazek" <lar@voyager.net> wrote in message
news:Ft7ryo.ECC@lugnet.com...
In lugnet.trains, Reinhard "Ben" Beneke writes:
In lugnet.trains, Reinhard "Ben" Beneke writes:

But what I would like to post here is the supplement of my april fools • site:
http://www-public.tu-bs.de:8080/~rbeneke/lego/misc/misc.html#fun

Truly Brilliant. A tour de force exercise in minimalist impurity. The • wonder
is
that it works at all, not how well it works. You, Ben, are (If you'll • pardon
the expression) such a STUD!

You are kidding me again, Lar? You know my English is not the best and I • had
to ask my dictionary which told me that "stud" means first any kind of • studs
(like we know them from Lego, clothing etc.), but it has the second • meaning of
a breeding cattle or horse too.

In US colloquial usage to be a stud is (derived from breeder, and then • derived
from "success with the oppposite sex" I guess) to be someone who can pull
amazing feats off, or more generally, someone to be admired.

It has the same general meaning here (Scotland/UK) too, but it is always (?)
directed at males. However, it is usually used in ironic/sarcastic manner. I
certainly do know anyone who'd consider it a compliment.

"don't" know anyone?  If that is what you meant, then I guess it would be a
cultural thing.  There is no higher praise for a man in the US than to be
called a stud (synonymous with "The Man" or "Da Man" as in "You da Man!").
Translations aside, Ben, it was definitely meant as a compliment and a pun to
boot.

-John

Same words, different language.

Scott A

It was a weak usage, but the pun was irresistable.

++Lar