 Trains / 5526
Re: Need references
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 11 Apr 2000 21:21:15 GMT

In lugnet.trains, John Neal writes:
Hey Will-

Don't mess around-- go out and buy Model Railroader Cyclopedia Vol 1 Steam
Locomotives.  It contains schematics of every iteration of steam engine built
in the US.

I doubt it...I really do.  The Cyclopedias are great for 4 8 1/2 mainline
stuff, but suck wind for any smaller/NG stuff.
How many photo's/drawings are there even of engines like the Kirkfield Quarry
engines?
(nice 0-4-0's in 3' gauge, and one in 4 8 1/2 gauge)
How about the EBT 2-8-2's?  Or K-36's? :)
Or 80HP Sentinels?
Or of engines like HOSS (Porter Air Engine 4077)
The cyclopedias are great as a general source of knowlage though...you won't go
too wrong buying them but they are not essential, nor are they in any way
inclusive of all possible designs.  There are lots of good sites on the web
with photographs...the hard cover books are not as important of a ref. as they
used to be.

James Powell