 Trains / 3236
Re: What is the largest lego steam engine ever built?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Sat, 18 Dec 1999 04:18:42 GMT

Larry or anyone. What does the real Big Boy look like (from the top) when
going around a tight curve? Is there a pic anywhere? Where are the pivot
points?
SteveB

A 'sharp' curve in this instance is 10 degrees (measured against a 100 ft
tangent (straight line)...it really doesn't translate...(unless someone has the
figures handy...the brits did it easer, with a warning "This engine not to be
operated around curves shorter than 4 1/2 chains at dead slow speed)(even a
9F could manage that...)

The boiler would stick straight out along the line described by the rear power
unit, since it is fixed to it.  The front power unit would be slid about 1-2 ft
on its pad, and at a slightly different angle. Pivot point for front power
unit is at rear (I -think-), with a sliding pad at front to transfer weight.

Model curves are way too sharp.

Lego curves are like 80-90 degree curves in full size.  Mind you, I have seen a
picture of a regular 40 ton boxcar on a 60 ft radius curve.  Street railway
style...

James Powell